addition, I'm getting the Canon 10-22mm superwide angle lens. Of

course I'll probably have to get another filter holder for that. Is

there another type or brand any one can suggest that does not have

this issue? On a side note, are Singh Ray filters worth spending that

much more. There's a huge price difference between Singh Ray grad NDs

and Cokin grad NDs. Just wondering if it's worth spending the extra

$. Thanks in advance.

Hello Will,

Cokin does offer a wide angle filter holder for the P series. It is basically the same as if you just cut off the two outer slots of the standard filter holder.

Otherwise, you'd have to get the X-series, which are very large and wouldn't cause any vignetting on your 17 mm lens.

Another (expensive) alternative would be the LEE filters. They are larger than the P-series. LEE does also have special wide angle rings. Check at www.leefilters.com

As for the quality of the ND grads, it has to be said that the Cokin ones are not really neutral, as the have a slight reddish/pink color cast, but with digital, this might not be an issue. There are very good (and reasonably priced) ND grads form HiTech fitting the Cokin P-series holder. Check at www.bhphotovideo.com

Kind regards

Will, I do have the P-series holder. Try several different shots at different focal lengths, and see if there's a difference. If you see the vignetting in the image but not in the viewfinder, you might be experiencing some of the "normal" wide-angle vignetting of digital wide-angle lenses at minimum FL.

The standard Cokin P holder has a slot for a polarizer. You can find a plastic holder from HiTech without a polarizer slot. This can be modified to be even slighter than the Cokin P.

I use the HiTech grads. I haven't noticed any colour cast but since going digital I haven't been using them as much.

Will, Vignetting is often inevitable with undedicated attatchments to ultra wide angle

lenses. If you still have the problem, you could attach the filter directly to the lens casing

(assuming that the glass of the lens doesn't protrude beyond the casing) with 4 small

pieces of Blue-Tack adhesive. This works very well as a solution, but may slow down your

photography - but this is fine for tripod mounted landscape work (slowing down your

photography here is probably advantageous!)

...another draw back is the greasy mark left on the polyurathane filter, so buy lots of

disposable lens wipes!

Regards, Nick.

I strongly suspect you didn't mount the holder correctly. P series filters are designed for use with lenses of up to 82mm filter diameter, and the 17-85 is only 67mm. Moreover, the 17mm crop angle of view is not that challenging. Suspicions are redoubled by the fact that you only observed vignetting in 2 corners, rather than all 4.

I have been investigating how to use cheap (or at least not so expensive) ND grads on the 10-22mm, my conclusion -at this moment- is to use an inverted Z Pro filter holder.

Instead of cutting off two guides you can use it reversed. You can also use 4mm filters.

Look at www.cokin.fr/cokin-data/news-product/PDF/Z-PRO-site.pdf