The 3rd Leica system

LFI3/2006 has appeared and contains an interview with Marius

Eschweiler, Leica Camera System AG.

Leica will offer lenses for the 4/3 standard (cf. earlier threads on

the D-Vario-Elmarit 2.8-3.5/14-50 mm Asph) and is working on a Leica

Camera in the framework of the cooperation with Panasonic.

The M and R systems will continue to stay in the front of the

product fortefolio, and, as I understand Dr. Eschweiler, the D

System, based on the open 4/3 standard, will become the successor to

the Digilux 2 at a time to be announced later.

The Digital M will be launched in the autumn, he says.

LFI 3/2006 also contains interesting info on macro photo with the

DMR and on sensor sizes and the different optical systems that Leica

offer.

The panasonic L1 has dim viewfinder due to mirrors light folding path. I suspect Leica will recoat the mirrors to make them brighter and bring it up to Leica standards. The 4/3 system actually is the revised Pen-EE half-frame that Olympus used to make . The old half frame has the viewfinder in portrait position and the new 4/3 is in landscape. Couple things I want to wait and see are noise response on the smaller sensor and the response time from shot to shot. Digital M will be quick I hope!

I imagine Leica know what they're doing, however playing armchair CEO I would be following a different strategy. Rather than produce a bolt-on digital back for the comparatively small number of Leica R users, and mucking about with the Panasonic half-breeds, I would channel the resources into fitting a workable full-frame sensor with competitive high-ISO performance, into an M body, using a plug-and-play sensor/electronics module that could be replaced with an upgraded version as technology advances.

It is obvious that I know nowt about digital photography, because I agree completely with Terrence.

I figured that I would be going in WAY over my head when I refused

a brand new in box DMR at half price. WTF would I do with it? I offered to trade it for an as new DIGILUX 2. No takers.

"and is working on a Leica Camera in the framework of the cooperation with Panasonic."

In other words, Leica is trying to figure out how much more they can charge for a DMC-L1

with a red dot on it. My bet is they will ask for another $750 above the Panasonic.

"The Digital M will be launched in the autumn, he says."

If by launched, he means showing a non-functional mock up at Photokina, then you're

right on. I'm sure it'll be pretty, and encased in glass to keep people from trying to

actually take pictures with it.

"The panasonic L1 has dim viewfinder due to mirrors light folding path. I suspect Leica will

recoat the mirrors to make them brighter and bring it up to Leica standards."

Can you name any 3rd party Leica branded product that was improved over the original?

I didn't think so. Hope springs eternal, I guess.

There is such a thing as cash flow.

If Leica spent all this time developing one uber full frame M then they'd be out of business by now seeing as they'd have no DMR, no D-2, D1 etc etc and none of the revenue these products brought in.

It would seem they are trying to achieve a balance between getting products out there that will bring revenue in, maintaining some kind of prestige, and developing a workable digital M system.

I'm not a massive fan of the Leica digital products, only from the point of view that their little more than a Panasonic (and even though I own a d-2) but, if it means some people get all excited and buy them and because of that the company keeps going, then, fine by me.

I hope eventually they will come to a point where they are the kings of full frame cameras and optics, there by eliminating the necessity for these 'halfbreed' products.

"If Leica spent all this time developing one uber full frame M then they'd be out of business

by now seeing as they'd have no DMR, no D-2, D1 etc etc and none of the revenue these

products brought in."

What R&D precisely did they spend on the D-2? It's not just 'little more' than a Panasonic, it

IS a Panasonic.

When I read about possible Leica strategies there are two words that ring a bell - "Leica primes". If they were to use their experience, history and brand to sell primes for other mounts I could see them creating their own niche. Would you be interested in an after-crop-factor 85 to 100 f/1.4 for portrait work? How about a 24 equivalent for landscape? If they could do the electronics and USM for autofocus would specific-use primes in other mounts sell at Leica prices? I believe they could pick a few focal lengths, a few mounts; add their reputation for creating lenses with specific qualities and their reputation for quality control - they don't need to sell a lot of lenses to make a profit. Wouldn't every serious wedding shooter want one Leica lens in his bag? Wouldn't every serious (and rich) birder want one Leica telephoto? Does a Canon L prime offer the quality consistency of Leica? Yes yes and no in my book.