Film for Leica

Hello to all,

I have just purchased a Leica M6 with Summilux 35mm for Christmas. I am looking for any

opinions on what b&W negative film works well for street photography. I have looked at

Kodak Tri-X Pan, is this what I need?

I will also be traveling out west to ski in a week; what color slide film would be best for my

Leica while shooting in these conditions (ex. white snow)? I have used Kodak's line of E100

film before, will this work well?

Thanks for your opinions.

Happy Holidays,

Blake Dennis<div>00Ed20-27146084.thumb.JPG.20c89b540fac5ef2b00fb126962a1222.JPG</div>

Yes, Tri-x is the classic street photography film - lots of latitude. Some folks rate it at ISO 200 and underdevelop just a bit, so you've got even more latitude and shadow detail than at 400. That way, you can over or underexpose a bit and still have plenty of good image to work with in the negative. I've never used the newer Tmax 3200 film, but some folks really like that too. Let's you work fast, using faster shutter speeds, and still get a good image.

As for color film, I think that Kodak E100G has the most neutral colors, including whites, of all the slide films I've used. It won't have the tell-tale purplish cast that Provia can add to some image areas, like skies or shadows. The contrast can be awfully high in snow scenes, so perhaps Fuji Astia might also be considered. It's a bit lower contrast than most of the other popular films.

Beside Tri-X, I'd take Ilford Delta 400 for street work. It has a much finer grain structure than Tri-X and it is very sharp film. On 4x6 prints, you'll hardly see any difference between Delta 400 and any 100 speed film. In my opinion it must be rated at EI 400. I've rated it at EI 200 in the past but overexposing it a full stop is a bit too much in my opinion (even though it is a print film). When you are not after a ᄡcleanᄡ look, Tri/X would be a better choice ofcourse.

For your skiing trip I'd recommend Sensia 100, it's a good allround performer with just a little more exposure latitude than most other slide films. But because it's a 100 speed film, I don't know if it's fast enough. With slides I wouldn't go any further than 200 iso, if you need more speed, I suggest you buy some fast print film like Fuji Pro 400H or Pro 800Z.

Are you planning to process the B&W film yourself? It sounds as though you are somewhat

of a newbie, and I would suggest that there is more to getting proper development of true

B&W film than you think. Your best bet would be to use one of the chromogenic B&W

films, such as Ilford XP2 Super, which is actually a color emulsion and is much easier to

have developed. Another alternative would be to shoot color film , scan and convert to

B&W in Photoshop, if you are so inclined.

I'll throw another spanner in the works and say HP5 rated at 300 and adjust the soup a bit. Extra fine grain with Rodinal or superb contrast TMAX RS developer, or you could do what I do - now this is experimental, so don't try it with anything you want to keep forever - use both. Half and half... very interesting results. Start in one, then swap the tank over for another and add the new chemistry. Fine grain, extra contrast.

It's something an old friend told me about a few years ago. I thought he was joking, but it works a treat - but you've got to be careful with the time - knock a bit off so you don't overcook your negs.

The big film news in this age of digital are the ASA 100 color slide films with RMS values of 8 or less. In other words professional film is worth the trouble...

But a film is needed that gives interesting results in even lighting and a film is needed that handles high contrast. So that's a two film system...

• 3 years later...