jcolwell

Almost exactly one week after getting my brand new EF 70-200/2.8 L IS

USM lens, I broke it. The lens slipped from my hand while I was

grabbing it from a shelf about seven feet above the floor. On its

way down to the shiny hardwood floor, it hit the EF 300/4 L IS on the

20D-with-grip which I was holding in my other hand. You can't really

tell who hit what: the 20D looks pretty normal for a body with 33k+

photos (i.e. lots of brassing (or magnesiuming) on most edges, and a

few light scratches), the 300/4 looks OK; and, the 70-200 is toast.

It has a great big crack in the outer shell and almost certainly a

matching dent in the lens body. The crack is in the section between

the focus and zoom rings (see attached photos).

There is a double-dent in the hardwood floor which matches the edges

of the 70-200's two body rings at the mount end: a smaller, smooth

dent from the rearmost ring, at the mount; and, a bigger, serrated

dent from the next ring with grip texture, which contains the lens's

mount index red dot. The textured dent is about 3/16" deep and 5/8"

wide. I figure this was the sequence: first, the 70-200 hits the

floor at an angle of about 30 deg butt-down from horizontal; next,

the 70-200 is resting comfortably on the floor; and then, an edge of

the 20D's body (probably rotating at high angular velocity) slams

into the 70-200 which is supported by the floor. Poop.

The 20D seemed to be confused after the drop, but then so was I, and

we're both fine now. The 300/4 is fine. The 70-200's optics are

perfect, the IS works as usual (i.e. like magic), but the AF is not

working right. The focus seems to work OK within a restricted range,

either near-to-mid distance, or mid-to-far distance, but the AF motor

cannot move it from one 'range' into the other. For example, it will

focus quickly and accurately for subjects between about 15 feet and

infinity, but will not focus at all on closer subjects. You can

manually focus to a closer subject, and then the AF works OK for near

to about 12 feet away. Also, the manual focus ring does not rotate

360 deg; it stops rotating about 1/4 rev past the both ends of the

focus distance scale. All of my other USM focus rings will happily

rotate 360 deg and more, but only engage the actual focus mechanism

within its working sector. This problem is not affected by the focus

range-limiter switch, except to change how near "near" is

So, lets start a poll - can it be repaired or will it have to be

replaced ? I'll tabluate your responses and let you know after I get

the word from Canon Canada.

I feel for you big time! I always keep cameras and heavy lenses in their bags when not in use. I dropped a Nikon to the hardwood floor a few years ago and spent $350 to repair it (focus was all gummed up). If my bazooka gravity-challenged 70-200 2.8 is not on my tripod then it's in its case where it cannot be hurt. Best of luck. You need to replace the lens. Sorry!

I would contact Canon for a definite answer. Last year my fiance knocked my 70-200 f4L off the bed and onto the floor and when I looked, there was broken glass all over. I picked up the lens and was "delighted" to see it was only the protective UV filter...wow was I relieved! Since then I've been VERY careful to make sure my lens's are in the camera bag when not in use.

James,

Since the lens is basically a new lens, and if it were me, I would definately send the lens into Canon for replacement/repair. It would probably be favorable to make some sort of contact with Canon Service, either with a telephone call or a letter explaining that you only had the new lens about a week and accidently dropped it. You might be surprised at Canon will handle the service. And I am certain that it would be less than the $1700.00 or so that the lens cost in the first place. They (Canon) may even write off some of the labor cost for repair under warranty. You never know. And it would be Canon's decision to repair or replace the lens.

I may be all wet here, but I would think that Canon could repair about any of their products that were still in current or recent production.

I think they will repair it.

Best wishes,

Would be a shame if Canon couldn't repair that since all the lenses seem to be intact. I still believe in the good in mankind and guess they will repair it (what's the reward if I was right?). And ... hey, you should take care of your stuff. 7" high in a shelf isn't probably a good place to store an expensive, heavy lens. Fortunately it didn't hit your head. Good luck!

Wow ! Lots of sympathy.

Sounds like you might have got off lightly though. From what I read you dropped about $4500 worth of equipment. That the 300/4 and 20D are fine is amazing. I guess they were cushioned by the 70-200/2.8.

I would send it in. The Canon engineers have salvaged other gear after other disasters. This is an exciting repair and a challenge. Probably make a change from the endless body/lens AF calibration.

Suman,

The lens fell 7 feet and was then hit by the edge of metal object weighing probably 2kg dropped from about 4 feet. Had the lens not had "L build quality" he would have been vacuuming it up. I think it is a miracle that all the gear came through so well.

I'd go with the repair route first.

That said, gravity is your camera's worst enemy. And salt water. Well, gravity and salt water are your camera's two worst enemies. Well, you get the idea...

I've heard more problems of camera equipment falling off shelves and breaking upon impact with the floor than just about any other way. My camera equipment is stored on the floor. And I make sure nothing heavy is above it. Works both ways. :) That rule applies whenever I set my camera down. Goes on the ground. Especially never on a table, and double never on a table if it has a camera strap dangling around, just waiting to grab hold of somebody passing by.

Sorry to hear of your woe. Hopefully, the repair bill will be surprisingly low.

Eric

Yeah, I'd send it in, too. Your account of the accident would be funny, if not so unfortunate (well written, and with a good dose of sardonic humor).

If Canon can repair it to your satisfaction, it will certainly cost less than a new gun. And if they can't, they shouldn't charge you for the repairs unless/until you're satisfied (and you sound like a reasonable guy to me).

Some gear fondlers would never be satisifed with a repaired lens, no matter how well it functioned. But considering the amount of wear and tear your 20D has endured, I don't think you're one of those people.

i thought my 70-200 was indestructible. guess not. that photo makes it look like its made

out of plastic. not metal of some sort- which i thought it was.. sorry that you dropped it

dude. if your gear is insured for accidental damage go for it, unless canon can fix it

cheaper than affecting your premium. all the best

James,

Did you buy it with a credit card? In the US at least, many credit cards provide 90 days of

protection for new purchases. If you used a gold or better card, you may be able to get it

fixed or replaced through the credit card company.

Adam

Update

Thanks to everybody for their kind words of condolence. By my count, the poll shows Replace=1, Repair=6, no answer=5. I have always intended to get my local Canon Certified camera repair guy (Dave Orrell) to check it out before chucking it away, so my question was intended to cover the ultimate solution, not the first step in the process.

Anyway, Dave figures it will be no sweat to fix it. He agrees that the inside lens structure is probably bent, and that is affecting the focus, but it's a standard part so no worries - as long as the IS was not busted (and I think the IS is OK). Last week, Dave completed rebuilding (to original specs) an EF 300/2.8 which was broken in half. The repair bill was almost half of the cost of a new lens. I expect my bill will be considerably lower. I hope to get an estimate before the end of the week, and I'll let you all know how it works out.

Dave also asked about the credit card (mine has no coverage), and he strongly suggested that I should get an "all risks" insurance waiver for my gear - excellent idea. I don't particularly care what a lens or camera looks like, as long as it works correctly (which is why I'm so irked by the 20D's behaviour with a heavy lens, grip and flash - it actually sometimes fires the flash and shutter, but does not produce an image). I certainly agree with Alistair's comments; if the 20D and L lenses were less well constructed, I'd be looking at a considerably greater loss.

By the way, I have a new theory on what took out the 70-200 IS; I think it was the 300/4 IS. The 300's hood is slightly "out of round" and I remember wiping some whitish residue off of it, which looked like the negative of a "skid mark" from a black rubber shoe sole. Also, the edge of the hood (which was retracted and so well-supported by the lens body) fits the short circular arc at the heart of the dent/crack. If true, this is further evidence that a good prime can always beat out (or beat up) a good zoom.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>Yes it can be fixed no problem they just replace the ring and check the inside for any other damage. I just sent a lens in in about the same condition and it came back as good as new. Also don't sell it you might be surprised how cheaply it can be fixed. Send me a message and I will tell you how it went with mine</p>

<p>Mike</p>