20d Parameters

davey h

Hi to all! I have just purchased my 20d and aint that pleased with the

results regards sharpness and general quality. What parameters do

people generally use for day to day photography. I have been using a

50mm canon lens (the latest vesion) Thanks for any feed back.

Canon expects that DSLR users will do some amount of post-processing. They have therefore deliberately set the parameters for all Canon DSLRs to be quite unsaturated, unsharpened, and low in contrast. They explain this in their pamphlet: www.photoworkshop.com/canon/EOS_Digital.pdf

Interestingly, the "higher" the level of the DSLR, the lower the setting values themselves. In other words, to match the same level of sharpening, contrast, and saturation between a 300D, a 20D, and a 1D, you'd have to set the 20D significantly higher than the 300D, and the 1D even higher than that.

The output requires, then, quite high settings in post-processing to reach what most people consider normal levels. Canon recomends, for instance, that USM sharpness be set at 300 (with a threshhold less than 1), which is three times higher than most Photoshop pundits recommend for USM. If you are going by the settings recommended by anyone other than Canon, or by the settings you used with other cameras, you will find them too low for Canon images.

Shoot in RAW and post-process to your heart's content. Nothing stops you, aside from your shooting technique, as to how sharp, colorful, and contrasty your photos will be. Nothing. The 20D is an *excellent* DSLR tool. Canon makes four 50mm lenses, which one is yours?