Jackson Heights, NYC

andrew_hull

1st one is a good pic, the rest are OK but really don't grab me. I see a number of obvious hip shots which can be a good photo IF there is something spectacular to be captured, but here all it seems to be is an attempt to street shoot without getting caught. You should also decide how you want to meter your scenes. Some shots were composed of shadow areas and large bright light, but without decent exposure for either. The eye doesn't quite know where to go in frames like that. <p>If you're new at this, I'd say congratulations on getting out there, nice effort. Try to figure out what you are trying to say, edit ruthlessly, shoot a lot, and go get 'em.

<p>Would agree with Andy. FWIW, I think #12 is your best shot. Kind of a

photographer's picture - not one that everyone will like, but for me it's got more interest

and better composition than any of the others.</p>

<p>If I were editing this, #3, #5 and #7 would be on my delete list. They have no story

and lack composition and interesting light - I don't think they work, at least not in terms

of what I like to look for in pictures. Hip shots are difficult to pull off. I take loads of

them, but delete about 90%; it's best to be ruthless.</p>

<p>A useful approach is to edit in, rather than edit out. In other words look for reasons

to keep a picture, rather than reasons to delete it. It's hard but you end up with better

work. Thanks for sharing, and keep at it - I look forward to seeing more.</p>

There are some where the exposure just isn't working, like Neil, I like 12, I also like 6 and 9. The ones where the exposure fought the subject were the most difficult. You can have light and dark, that is often good, but when you miss your intended mark, including the hip shots

and the obvious subject is too dark compared to everything else, then you just missed that one and should pass on it unless it has some overriding interest, and then you have to do what you can to bring that out.

Thanks for the responses. Truth be told, I simply dumped the pictures in. I have since editted out. The main point of this little photo adventure wass simply to demonstrate how the latin american community in JH has assimilated, and not assimilated into the culture here in NYC.

I was drawn to how much the neighborhood seemed like many of the places in latin America that I have traveled. I have edited out the "noise". Now I think the photos that are left have more purpose for what I was trying to demonstrate. The items might be subtle IMHO. Clearly I need to to more ruthless editting :)

The edit helped, Andrew. <p>

However, I took a look at some of <a href=http://www.pbase.com/amhphotography/inbox>your photos of Cuba</a>, and found many there that were stronger, more direct, more personal, more revealing -- just more. So I know ya got it in ya. :-)<p>

By contrast, these Jackson Heights shots have a quick "passin' through" feeling, and indeed may have been taken in a very limited time period. While a few are good shots, and #1 is very good (as noted), I'm not sure that your stated objective has been achieved ... yet.

Michael. Cuba is something I feel much more passionately about. I spent two weeks there, and the subject matter come more easily for me.

Clearly the photos will be better :) The Jackson Heights was my first venture into another part of NYC the week I moved here. i think that there is something there to examine, but yes, these were taken over the psan of a couple of hours. I will be revisiting JH. Of course, Cuba I would kill to get back to! Last time I went, I went legally.

#1 and #6 are nice. i don't have a problem with hip-shots, but some of these appear to be made by holding the camera at mid-chest height or possibly at your adam's apple. that's not photography. c'mon your camera has a viewfinder and/or LCD screen for a reason.