Leica DMR sample iamge

I admit i shot all the Canons and the Kodak 760 but i have not shot the newer Nikons but from what i have seen is they do look good. Glad Nikon is caught up it's been a long time for me using there DSLR's . anyway i don't want to get into the Dig vs Film debate it is pointless . if you need or want one or the other than that is what you need to work. Also film is different giving different emulsions and speed , so really it is a hard comparsion to do but mostly we do compare the 2 for some reason as photographers. Point shown many times here on this forum, I will never shoot digital and just be happy with my love for silver. Hey that is great do what strokes your jets but there is room for both and we still say to this day mostly the guys that shot film for years is compare it back to what we did years ago, which is fine. But it is different, what i like about this setup more than anything is how the files look and for me it reminds me of days of Kodachrome. I loved that film. Anyway don't want to take away any further from the thread so i will just leave it at that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Glad Nikon is caught up..."

Since when did 1.5x crop "catch up" with full frame? Must be according to Nikon marketing BS "cropped sensor apologist" machine.

Come on Guy, don't quit on us. Hang in there. We're just getting warmed up.

What's the point of having any lenses at all when the skin tones look like plastic? Besides, Nikon has great wides, so great in fact that the best DOP's in the industry use them on their cine cams instead of Cooke and Panavison. The 12-24 is great zoom too.

"What's the point of having any lenses at all when the skin tones look like plastic?"

Those thousands of pro photogs who make a living using Canon must be accomplished at fooling everyone. Or the editors and art directors must love the plastic look.

to get back to the earlier point about the relationship between film and digital..I think we

have to compare them, yes they are different but my clients, and myself for that matter

were

accustomed to seeing photos as film..my desire when switching to digital was to tweak the

raw digital to look like film..the fidelity that film gives you out of the can can be achieved

with the dmr and then some..I have no experience with canon so will not make any effort

to bash it..I do think because canon was first to market big megapixel cameras the press

shooters jumped on it, they were also ahead of nikon on the telephoto af front.. again, the

press pros, not limited with hobby budgets jumped on it.. I know many guys who switched

to canon during this early digital stage.. the dumbing down of the "film asthetics" was due

to the lack of good post work on canon and nikon digital..and boy do they need it. we as

viewers have been slowing

boiled in the mediocre digital pot, likewise more and more viewing of all images is done

on these low res screens we look at.

I think photographers like myself relish beautiful image fidelity which is gained via the

dmr package of optics, sensor and software. At the level of work I want to compete, digital

is the only choice. I have no professional need for AF, I need high speed lenses which

perform at maximum apeture. I want my small camera work to dovetail seamlessly with

my MF digital work. I don't need a 35mm to try to be a MF view camera..I think there is a

misnomer out there that all professionals have to have AF + VR..there is huge spectrum of

work that does not require this technique.

When clients ask me for digital I shoot with the EOS 5D and, thus far, I haven't received any

complaints. Having said that, from what I've seen, DMR images do have a very nice look to

them that I personally prefer. Kudos to Leica for producing this.

My reluctance to buy into the Leica system stems from the fact that it doesn't seem that long

ago when they weren't even capable of producing a motor drive for the R8 when it first came

out. I owned two R8s when they were first introduced and both of them died very quickly and

they weren't cheap. So, when it came to the need to buy digital, Canon seemed a cheaper and

safer option. That's a pity 'cause the DMR looks very appealing.

Ellis, DMR's not an end-all, but not incompetent either. We all have to keep in mind that

the unit was designed for R users, so the lack of AF and other considerations was a

decision already made prior to the addition of digital.

The test for me is using any camera for real work in the real world, not compressed jpgs

or 300% screen views ... my clients buy neither. Prints, and how easy it is to get good ones

with good skin tones and color from a any given camera is the test ... because I primarily

shoot people in hectic conditions.

Anyway, nice to see a balanced initial report neither defending a purchase decision nor

unduly Leicaphobic. Looking forward to your considered opinion.<div>00Fkff-28970084.thumb.jpg.b63d5aa39047e793677846f9ff78c666.jpg</div>

marc, would you have any use for a 135mm f2 lens...I think this would be a killer combo

on the dmr..focus to 2 ft.. that is on my wish list. there is a big gap from 90 to 180.

I think the m users would go for it as well - that focal length has been ignored in these

modern times..