Availability of Nikon Scanners

Seems to be out-of-stock everywhere. OD has it listed online but it is one of their special order items and so they probably don't have it...

I noticed the MicroTek 4000tf with a $100 rebate. Sony trilinear 5300 CCD sounds like something...

It seems to be happening across Nikon's entire product line. Either their items are way more popular that the corporate head offices expected or they have management problems that have not been revealed. Either way it is not indicative of a company that has a handle on its market. I am so heavily invested in Nikon that there is no way I would leave, but I do not encourage others to join the Nikonomania.

KEH online inventory has been very accurate in my experience...updated at least daily.

It's surprising that Amazon.com doesn't offer more of them, or list themselves as a vendor...I'd buy directly from them before anybody else because of the return policy.

Logically (my logic anyway), Nikon would offer a new model featuring the best of the V and 5000 for around $1000 ...offering V's perhaps-superior focus with the 5000's faster scanning, allegedly greater image depth, automatic slide feeder and long roll transport...the 5000 doesn't offer enough for the extra money Vs the V unless you HAVE to have those transports.

<p>John,</p>

<p><i> ...offering V's perhaps-superior focus with the 5000's faster scanning, allegedly greater image depth, automatic slide feeder and long roll transport...the 5000 doesn't offer enough for the extra money Vs the V unless you HAVE to have those transports.</i></p>

<p>The V's superior focus? Huh? AFAIK, the V and 5000 share the same lens and focusing capabilities. There do seem to be some modest improvements over the older 4000 in terms of depth of field, but I've never seen evidence that the V is in any way superior to the 5000 in focus.</p>

<p>As to bit depth, the 5000 does use a 16bit ADC part as opposed to the V's 14 bit but, again, I've never seen any credible evidence that this makes any real-world difference other than to the marketing folks who try to sell to consumers using silly "calculated" dmax numbers based on the number of ADC bits. Even if the parts in question were actually capable of producing 16 bits of actual data (as opposed to signal plus noise from the ADC), noise from the CCD itself still prevents having 16 bits worth of real analog information available to digitize. You can digitize to as many bits as you want, but it doesn't make those bits significant.</p>

<p>What the 5000 does provide is true multi-sampling (rather than the multi-scanning possible with vuescan in the V) which CAN make a small-but-real difference in shadow noise, in addition to the attachment options you mention. I see no reason or place for any tweaking here from Nikon. Seems like the products both occupy pretty solid niches.</p>

<p>Scott</p>

I was just at Vistek (Toronto) yesterday, and the Nikon 9000 has already dropped by $600. To me that is a sign they are selling them off and coming out with a new one. Definately they are not giving them up, there are way too many film users. Other models I dun know.