D200 noise

davey h

Noise levels. He's asking how the D200 performs at high ISO.

I've seen lots of images purporting to be from the D200. I've seen some quite low noise shots

at high ISO and I've seen some noisy low ISO shots too. Until we have some info from

controled tests and examples from good photographers then we won't really know. If I were

David I'd wait until I saw some detailed reviews of the body. Me? I ordered one back on Nov

5th and should have it in my hands by Friday.

"digital SLRs nowdays are no worse than compared to noise in film at its relative ISO"

if that's your standard, you're in luck: all modern DSLRs will handily trounce high-ISO color film.

Big deal. Time marches on, and some people (especially Canon folk) are producing clean, saleable ISO 3200 color pictures, and I've seen some noise-treated images at an effective ISO 9600 that are quite good. 12800 and up isn't science fiction. This is the context in which this question is asked.

Some people will never use these capabilities so just don't care, others will loudly deny that they even have a use. Personally, for my style and needs, I think we're at the dawn of a new golden age.

and the answer is no, there are no careful tests worth paying attention to yet. Patience, grasshopper.

"Chris, where did you order yours from? I ordered mine on Nov. 3, from Adorama, and they

haven't heard a thing about a shipment."

I ordered it on the 11th of November at Ritz/Wolf/Cameraworld. They claim that they got 3k

units in this week and are sending them out today and tomorrow. My shipping status shows

"In stock and reserved" and my credit card was chaged this afternoon. It'll be here on Friday

or Monday since I paid for second day air.

"The amount of noise that at high iso settings. I have been on a few web sites and it seems a concern."

That's because no one has used the camera so they like to speculate. The reason for the speculation is that the D200 has relatively small pixels and so Canon bigots like to bring this up. We shall see shortly.

In the meanwhile, how about a nice tripod.

"That's because no one has used the camera..."

No, that's not correct. Some people have the camera in hand and have posted various images

around the Web. None of these were taken in controlled conditions though and there's a

good deal of variation between them, no doubt more due to the operator than the camera

itself.

The advice continues to be: wait and see.

Illka has it absolutely right.

But if you want to see some fresh and nasty noise samples at ISO 1600 I've got 'em,

But they are from a Canon EOS 1Ds mk.2.

You deal with noise in post processing with plug-ins like Noise Ninja and Nik D-fine.

I'd much rather have noise from a DSLR at a high ISO settings to deal with than be stuck

with high ISO film problems.

In fact Ilkka is not right. The camera I handled at a Nikon demo last week was a production model. However, I (and others) have only done a few quick snaps and no real systematic test, which is why I used the expression "my impression is..." in my previous post.

>>I'd love to know whether, in terms of noise, the D200 at 500 ISO compares favorably with the D70 at 250 ISO.

I have no idea and can't test it now as my camera hasn't arrived yet.

Carsten