Technic or Arstistry?

I just want to know how many of you are actually learning photography

through the technical details and how many just going by the instinct

and creative spur?

I'm a newbie and to tell you the truth I don't think I want to know

about the distance that I have to have for a certain light to work

with a csertain camera, all that stuff.

Does that make me a creative driven photographer or a slack?;)

If you don't know it, it makes you a beginner.

If you don't WANT to know then it makes you a slack.

Technique and creativity are not different things - the former is put in the service of the latter.

Consider the case of music. Could one claim that I have divine melodies swelling up in my soul but I don't have the patience to learn piano technique - I'll just go at it with one finger? OTOH, there are people with fantastic techique who just don't 'get' music.

-A

I think that many people use a combination of self-education, formal education, peer assistance, and practical experience, any of which may take precedence at any time in their lives as photographers.

You may feel that the rules of photography are not worth learning, and that is your choice. You should be prepared to find that no one likes your work very much, creative though I am sure it will be.

Best,

Wiggy

Im just learning too. But everytime I go out to shoot I think of something I want to try and im not sure how it will come out... this very often leads me to the books or online to look it up.... sort of a "hunt and peck" self education. ;) Im finding that the more I learn about the limitations of my cameras and lenses the faster I can react when im out shooting, and the better I am at judging whats a "do-able" scene and not worry about wasting film. My guess is eventually you will run into something that makes you a little more curious about your equiptment... and who knows, that could open you up to a whole new realm to experiement in. :)

But really its important to remember that sometimes its that thing you try out just on a whim that comes out being a great photograph, or leads you into the direction of an innovative style. And theirs no rule or technicality that controls that, just good old fashioned inspiration.

It's just like in music. The better you know and control the technique the better you can express yourself. Technique is the tool you use to make that idea of yours real. The better you you control the devices the less coincidental, accidental the outcome is and thus the better you control the technique the more you can show your true talent as an artist.

I think I agree with Ocean. you seem to have a pretty technically sound method behind your work (posted). you may be slack but if you get what you want then your methodology works. what you may benefit from learning more is possibly becoming more proficient at what you do. This is assuming you just klutz through yoru work and have outstanding luck with your results... in which case I wish I had your luck :).

Anupam has it. Remarkable what one finger can do if on the shutter release button at the right time. I think this debate comes down to practice, and how much each of us must do in order to satisfy ourselves. The best philosophy I ever heard was simply this: 'Practice Mutha'. Practice may be applied to many things, photography, technique of, artistry of, etc.

As Juha said, music is similar. A good musician can reproduce a given piece of work consistently; in other words, it's not an accident if he or she plays something well. It takes (most people) a long time to be good photographers and musicians. It never hurt anyone to learn anything. (Except maybe learning about an adulterous spouse?) ;-) Read everything you can and practice as much as you can.

Concerning Hendro's question, if you don't want to know the details and technique of a shot then why are you concerned what anyone else thinks? My guess is that most people who read and write regularly on this site are far more concerned with technique than most people.

That is probably because they are keen on learning.

The idea that one can be an artist with no regard to technique is complete BS. it reminds me of a novice picking up a holga and making photos called art, what crap.

As mentioned above by Anupam, the classical musician will first master his instrument, then he will become an artist, perhaps.

These days pop culture means some dork can sing a tune, make millions and call themselves artists. There is a big difference between those two examples. If you understand the differences you may answer your own question.

Cheers.

In viewing your PN portfolio, you have a "good eye" with quite a few well seen images posted there. Learning a bit about the technical aspects would add that special zap to some of your portraits of people (and kids) by enabling you to adjust camera settings to get a correct exposure to emphasise the the lighting that you are seeing. In other words, give you more control.

Photography, especially with a point-and-shoot, is very different from music. Maybe more like a keyboard that has the rhythm tracks and harmony built in.

At some point, you will want to have more control over light and DOF then you can get with your camera. The same is true of precise in-camera compositions.

Basically it comes down to why you shoot, specifically, what you intend to do with the output, besides posting it here.

Photography = science + art

You learn about techniques in photography and at one point it is no more learning just apply without even to notice you need to know it. If you do not know anything about techniques in photography how you gonna expose your film. You better off sell your stuff and cling to pencil and drawing. But and there you will find problems if you reject to learn. About creativity and learning you go to the thread: education yes/no? But wait this is only for some certain type of photography. If your interest is just to record events around you randomly I think any learning is absurd.

You must learn the craft before you can produce consistent artistic results. Otherwise you

will be a hit or miss photographer for the rest of your life.

Just like a potter or a painter or a cabinet maker. Learning and understanding the craft of

photography really well allows you to concentrate on the art of photography. It's like

walking - you first learn to move your legs and arms and body in such a way as to propel

yourself, and then later on you can hopefully progress to chewing gum at the same time!

I believe the "technical" aspects of photography are the most easy part. I know some people have a hard time with the numbers, the calculations, and the equipment. But once you learn a few fundamentals, and more importantly, actually go out and use the stuff and shoot enough, it should become second nature...to the point where you're not "thinking" about composition or hyperfocal distances or how light falls off at the square of the distance or how to meter a difficult scene......It's at that point that the creative juices can really flow without anything getting in the way of "vision"....<p>

...That's when one can really apply the saying "don't think, just shoot".<p>

The real difficult and frustrating part of photography (and any creative artform) is having, finding, or getting that "vision" or inspiriation or great idea that motivates you to create something meaningful.

• 6 months later...