Hand cramping up during weddings...

ltilley

I know the problem... my right hand is cramping from gripping the camera in my

right hand while I have my 70-200 lens on. I think gripping and lifting the 4-

5 pounds is too much because my right hand gets sharp pains during weddings...

is there a way to prevent this?

Not to mention how sore my forearms hurt the next day.... oh the joys of being

new to all this!!

THANKS!!

Lisa

good point about the lens. it is a brute. if you're shooting digital go back over your exif and see if you're really using the whole range of the zoom.

I did that and found that most of the time I was at or around 135mm so I use the 135mm now in place of the 70-200. much more pleasant to carry.

It's a beast.

My style is to carry more than half of the weight in the left hand (under the center of gravity of the combined system). That left hand is 'open palm up', and the elbow is tucked into the gut. That's a less stressful position for most of us. The right hand primarily 'steers' the rig.

Depending on your style, you may benefit from a monopod on the lens. Don't have to use it all the time, but if you're running something like 30 minutes during the ceremony from one spot, it's a big help. A quick release helps you 'pod on/pod off' very quickly.

I use a wrist support strap that velcros in place and can be tightened to taste. I use it on the base of my right hand and onto the wrist. It goes over one thumb and then wraps around. It helps on long shoots. Also, try to put the camera down or hold it in your left hand in those moments when not shooting.

Do some weights around the house, when watching TV, yelling at your kids, etc. That'll help. As for cramps.. make sure you're hydrated. I get a cramp sometimes, but I know it when I'm not drinking enough fluids.

Make sure you don't have carpel tunnel, you shouldn't have pain like others mentioned unless you're talkinga bout your muscles being sore.

Get a monopod. Once you get accustomed to adjusting the height, you'll find that it

transitions smoothly in almost all shooting scenarios, and takes almost all of the weight off.

It's also tremendously helpful in dimly-lit condition, like during the ceremony.

If you're using a large lens like the 70-200 or larger, just be sure to mount the LENS, NOT the

BODY, as the lens may pull the guts out of your camera without support!

Before I decided to unload all my SLR stuff I always carried a 180/2.8 on assignments, and often had a 300/4 handy. In either case I held the lens balanced on my left hand with the elbow braced on my hip. I finally concluded that I could easily get by with a 135/2.8 and just crop on the very rare occasion when I needed a tighter shot. If I was shooting sports it would be another story. For social/political events I'm fine with 21/35/90mm optics, with the 35 doing 90% of the work. The shorter lenses, and closer working distances, give the photos more of a sense of "being there".

I agree about working out. I don't shoot enough heavy gear too get photography cramps, but operating motorbike clutches was quite similar in spring.

Get some some torture instrument(s) looking like the handles of a pair of pliers operating against a spring and use it (or them) while you are ideling at home. Mothballing your KittchenAid and kneading the dough for your bread by hand is also a good idea like typing mechanically.

In general, I say fingers aren't as strong as desireable. Look If you can get a grip with a strap around it, like Mamiya, Linhof and Leica R used to offer. It should take some need to cramp away from your hand.

If you are living alone and the next wedding is far away, watch your TV through that 70-200 as soon as the pain has vanished. Get your body used to what you 're demanding during weddings on a daily base!

I complained about this a few months ago and a Dr. on the site called it overuse strain.

I now use a wrist strap. It has helped.

One advantage to this is it gives me a camera strap point on the bottom of the camera. This means that the camera hangs with the lens down and the lcd is not rubbing against me. Also the strap does not fall over the viewfinder when taking a verticle.

Errol

I use a neckstrap, and when not actively shooting leave my right hand in place on the camera grip to keep it tight to my body and just let the neckstrap take the weight.

Alternatively, I'll leave my right hand in position on the camera and rest the base of the lens on my left forearm, with my left hand under my right elbow, kind of like I'm cradling the camera. :)

Stretch it a lot. Yes, weight are a great idea too, but you want your hand muscles to be flexible. My hands used to cramp a lot from doing beadwork on wedding gowns.

Also, get one of those stress ball things, and keep it in your pocket in case you cramp up. You know those little rubber balloons with sand in them? One of those, it'll help.

Use fixed focal lengths?

Another thing is your ability to anticipate your need to lift it to your eye will develop over time and that alone will mean a 70% reduction in the 'keep it up' workload, I dare say.

If not needed for long work (i.e. I get close enough to shoot a head and shoulder shot without it) I use either a 135 or an 85. YMMV, but that is what works for me.

Best, D.

Always craddle the camera with your left hand. You should not hold that lens and camera with one hand anyway, it puts to much stress on the lens mount unless you hold the lens and not the camera.

But don't worry, your hand will get used to it. By the way I wear a black leather motorcycle clove when I have to hold a heavy camera :) it helps a lot, because the camera does not sit right on the palm of my hand and crush the nerves. The palm of the glove is padded.