Question on package for book publishers.

john_mauser

What are your thoughts on a package to approach book publishers

with. This package would accompany a proposal for a coffee table

book of black and white landscapes. Would you try to send a handful

of 8x10 hand prints, a cd of 50 image scans, both, etc.? What do

you think would catch their attention? Thnaks, John

I'd send a succinct written proposal to the publishers most likely to be interested in such a book and simply ask them how I should submit my images. It's simple, direct, and honest. Still, don't expect to be buried in favorable replies. Coffee table books are expensive to publish, and there is no shortage of landscape photos in the world.

Coffee table books are expensive to publish, and there is no shortage of landscape photos in the world

Oh, please be assured that I have no false hopes. I've spoken with a few published photographers and I know how much of a battle it is.

Thankfully, I'm presenting a book for a certain audience, not just propsing a book of "my favorite photos".

Self publishing will be my second option. For a while I was seriously considering it as my first option. I just can't afford to go out and get a loan for the money to self publish and then fight to make my money back. I'd rather try to find a willing publisher first, even if I see little to no profit in return. Thanks, John

All of the good printers I have looked into in the past were way out of my range(I'm not talking about places like lulu or mypublisher). On top of that I think that selling this book without the help of a publisher is something I don't have the spare time to do. If you know of some decent print presses that can make high quality coffee table books and cater to self publishers...please let me know.

Thanks again, John

Most publishers with a track record of publishing art titles have a "submissions guidelines" section on their web-sites if you look hard. Included in that will be some indication of whether they accept direct proposals at all or only via an agent. Their requirements are different and you should not expect to produce a standardised approach to all.

Thanks David, I went on the sites for some publishers who I know have published decent photo books in the past. All of their submission guidelines were geared towards literary books, not photo books. I ended up emailing them for photo submission guidelines. Hopefully I'll get a response. John

'What do you think would catch their attention?'

A dummy book, made on an inkjet.

This will be much more persuasive than 'a handful of 8x10 hand prints' or 'a cd of 50

scans'.

Of course if they decide to publish, they will want to re-edit your images, but a dummy

book will show the strength of your concept.