S&D Ethics: What is appropriate or inappropriate?

jenna_g

For all you street and documentary shooters, do you have any rules

on what you will or will not photograph? Places, people, or

situations you will not shoot? Is everything and everyone in a

public place fair game? Assuming nothing is being shot illegally,

do you believe it is up to each individual photographer to decide?

Just curious.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the most interesting of these types of images from the past have been very, well, progressive if you will, as far as rules and propriety go. Look at Weegee's images of crime scene photos. They were pretty unheard of at the time, but that is what made them stand out. He shot IR images of people making out in movie theaters and other things that were done but not talked about at the time.

I have to go with individual choice on this one. It is up to the photographer to decide if the intrusion into someone elses privacy is worthy or not. You will always be able to find someone who objects to what you are doing, but some things are important to record and others are valuable to soceity as a whole. Not every choice is going to be correct, but then again, who is to say what is correct and what isn't? As long as you are not trespassing, it's your call.

- Randy

Perhaps I'm not as hard-core in that I don't subscribe to the anything-goes ethic. A little personal discretion never hurts, I find. For example, I tend to refrain from taking shots of less than able-bodied people, i.e., those unlucky enough to have obvious afflictions. Homeless people are usually out as well--w/ an occassional exception--because I find it about as fair as clubbing a lame duck. Is there a place in street/documentary photography for something like sportsmanship? It's easy to forget that a camera has a unique tendency to draw attention to others' misfortunes. While it may be intersesting, it doesn't always merit a photo. In short, it's possible to violate social taboos and still be (somewhat) respectful. Feel free to disagree.

<i>Feel free to disagree.</i>

<p>

nah, i actually agree and thought the lame duck analogy was great untill i thought of dead pigeons. anyway, yeah not really interested in homelessness though sometimes the presence of a huiman figure helps regardless of their social status.

<p>

for me at least there's a diff between shooting and posting, pretty much what goes in the "family album" stays there out of respect for friends and family....

<p>

not keen on shooting pics of strangers kids either...

I won't take photos of people living so far over the edge that the people in them would be regarded as pathetic. I've seen photos here like that, and I don't particularly like it. Unless I could really do something for them by showing the photos, I don't even bother taking them.

Other than that, I shoot anything I see.

Pretty much agree with Arond and Jeff on people living on the street. The random off-axis

snap of a person sitting/lying on a sidewalk against a wall with a blanket seems to be a

staple with some. Maybe I see more of that on the other forum - kind of cheap shots, in

many ways...

Arond, really good stuff on you website.

www.citysnaps.net

Arond makes a good point about exploiting "less than able-bodied" but documentary

photogs have done work that is damn good and important in "mental" asylums, with drugs

addicts, with troubled people, with racists, etc. I attended a lecture/slide show by Eugene

Richards last week. His work is so good it hurts, and just as good was his presentation

and apparent discomfort with what he sees and shoots, with journalism and documentary

photography. One slide showed a troubled man assaulting his grandson by biting him in

anger. Another showed a couple fighting and Richards said, "we were afraid it was a sexual

assault but fortunately it wasn't." Several times, Richards paused and said something like,

"When I see and shoot things like this I have to wonder about documentary work, but..."

and he trailed off leaving the point unresolved.

A point could be made that documentary photogs who aren't shooting anything that

makes them uncomfortable aren't shooting anything new or interesting. An over

generalization I admit, but something to consider.

Self censorship is ultimately more powerful and dangerous than external censorship,

especially since the Internet provides new opportunities for the diffusion of ideas and

images. I'm not a street photog so take what I say with a grain...

Documentary photographers don't let non-public spaces or temporary laws and

regulations prevent their work. Think about all the excellent work around the world that

has been made not "legally" nor in public spaces. Personal ethics is not the same as local

or national laws.

My first b&w class had a street/documentory assigment. The teacher advised us to avoid shooting homeless people because it's exploitive and over done. I agree so now several years later I won't photograph homeless people. What's the point? Nothing new or edgy there. Besides, how is one to know for sure if someone is homeless or not? I know a guy who's clothing and grooming is so ratty and unkempt that he's often mistaken for being homeless although he's not. Then there's those scammers who pan handle while holding a "homeless please help God bless" cardboard sign then walk several blocks to their new-ish car and drive on home to their house in the 'burbs. So looks are decieving.

However, twice I photographed homeless people. Once because I had one shot left and was anxious to shoot it and head home. A homeless lady was sleeping on a bench but what intrigued me was that she had on a hospital id tag on her wrist despite having all her belongings in a shopping cart next to the bench. So I took the shot with the hospital id dead center in the frame. The other time was another sleeping person (I guess homeless people are more active at night) and again there was a cart piled high with belongings on the top of which sat a Louis Vuitton handbag. Probably fake but still interesting to see even the homeless aspire to owning status symbols. This is what sold me on photographing this. Aside from these two examples though, I agree that shooting homeless people is not the best way for one to spend their time street shooting.

I guess is up to everyone's personal opinion..

Is there a thing that you feel like useless and that in your opinion has negative effects to you if you take the shot?

When it looks so to me, I don't do it, and that for me is pretty much about people wasted for hard life situations..it looks too much like searching the big shot and taking an abuse..

In reality, it can be even different if those photos would be done for a project, or other helpful uses, but again...is up to the situation, to the moment, to the day and more important to you and to your perception of respect.

This to me apllies in every kind of streetshot..

bye