Photo Agency that only use Leica! Group M35

I agree that the images could could do with some better post processing work. maybe that is deliberate. Clean, sharp, well presented images may detract from the Leica mystique as this site interprets it.

Not a gripping site and not a good advert for Leica qualities.

There are some Leica photographers whose work I love so I know the camera/optics are not to blame. I have seen some stunning work even from 1930s Leica lenses from both contempary photographers and old 'legends'.

This website just makes me want to pick up my new Doisneau book. (Glow like you would not believe!)

A photo agency should have access to both skilled B&W printers and people with good web presentation skills. Looks like this lot have neither.

Pretentious, moi?

"Our members are all Leica photographers, which is the most obvious explanation for the superior quality of our printed work"

At $1100 for a 16x20 b&w print the work had better be superior!

Unfortunately for me, the shadow on a wall of someone holding a hoop doesn't really justify $1100 (yes, one thousand one hundred dollars per print) even if it does distort into a heart shape...

What a bunch of sourpusses you are! I have had only a quick look at the site (will return when I have more time), but I saw some very striking portfolios. I especially liked the Khurdish tanning industry set, but there were plenty of others. Thanks for the link, Martin.

I've noticed that good pictures usually make striking thumbnails. If you scan round the exhibition panoramic, you'll spot many pictures that are striking even though they are so small on your screen.

As for quality, the above also implies that they have good printers. Furthermore, you'll notice that ALL the pictures in the exhibition are printed 16 x 12. It takes a quality 35mm negative to support enlargement to this size. I've noticed from posts here that many contributors to this forum never print theirs bigger than 10 x 8.

Whether these guys would have done worse with gear other than Leica, I won't guess - but if they're happy with Leica and they're doing excellent work, good luck to them.

I am not hung up on 'Leica quality' (whatever that is). As most people here know by now, I am pretty catholic in what photographers I enjoy and few of them are 'Leica photographers' (whatever that means).

I just think the featured website is not presenting the work of their photographers very well. I doubt that group35M lack a good printer (for $1100 a pop I assume their printer must be top notch) but there is no evidence on the site of this.

The photographers work is good but it is not enjoyable trying that hard to 'imagine' the quality of the pics.

(Doisneau used a Rolleiflex as well as Leica eh? Interesting. Never knew that. A lot of my favourite 'old masters' seemed to have used Rolleiflex as well. Thanks for that info.)

Trevor, you did say earlier that it looked like this group didn't have access to good printers, so presumably you are retracting that criticism?

The quality of web images on this site could indeed be better, but it is as good as those on the Magnum site, and I suppose it may be limited deliberately to prevent plagiarism.

Hell, why am I defending people I've never even heard of before? I liked the site for its images. The group would be well advised to drop that pretentious introduction about Leicas. But to contrast what they do with Robert Doisneau (a master of set-up photography) is just ridiculous.

Any agency needs a USP. But theirs isn't altogether convincing. Jim Marshall

uses a Leica, but he doesn't claim that having one is a badge of credibility.

And regardless of printing, some of the work on there is pretty poor.<p> Jim

Marshall took good music photos because he didn't mind pushing to the front

of a crowd, or standing on the stage. The music reportage on there mostly

seems to feature the audience's elbows...

Yes indded Jonathan I said "it looks like" or there is no evidence of good printers if the website is all we have to go on.

However since my first post someone pointed out that they sell prints for $1100 dollars each. That says to me that they MUST have good printers. (They REALLY must have have for those prices.)

Putting aside completely the issue of whether the camera used should or shouldn't be an issue, assuming it's important to the buyer that the shots were made with Leica M cameras, how are they planning on proving it? I'm pretty sure I read on the LUG that Tina Manley used an R camera as well, and I even seem to recall lately her using a Canon dSLR with the Leica R adaptor.

Me again Jonathan... just caught your comment about Doisneau being "a master of set-up photography". That is interesting. I am fairly new to his work so did not know this.

However, I have never really held this against photographers (setting up shots) if the result is a great photograph. Photographs often tell a story just as much as a work of fiction witten by an author. No-one points the finger at authors of fiction and accuse them of 'making it all up' or lying. Anyway this way off topic. Sorry everyone.

Why on earth should it be important to the buyer that the photog used a Leica?

Look, these guys just have a credo that makes them tick. It's a bit cranky, but each to their own. Everyone who visits this forum must once have half believed in it too.

I do wonder if the high price for prints isn't just to deter idle inquirers. I can't believe that print sales are the main outlet for people like this are they?

it's marketing people! :) these guys dont care if other photographers or wannabe's pick apart their wording and strategy...we are not their target buyers. these prints will end up in manhattan lofts where the rich will use them as bragging and or conversation pieces at cocktail parties.

hey, if it sells prints...why not. brad, your whole spiel is how you can make great images with an old sony whatcha ma callit...works for you, bollocks for other.

cheers