Wide angle - recommendations pls

chrisaitken

Hi All,

I'm after a wide angle lens to do some street work - be it a 28 mm or

35 mm (maybe even a 24 mm?).

I have a Chinon CP9-AF, which will accept any PK & PK-A lenses (I'd

prefer PK-A).

So - recommend me a lens! I'll probably go second hand, budget wise I

haven't much. although would be willing to spend more on a nice lens.

Chris, how much do you think detail of people will figure in your street work, 28 might be too wide. The 28 is often the cheaper option but a 35 might be better suited for groups and individuals. For architectural and area shots a 24 is very good. Personally I have a Pentax 28 and hardly use it (neither close enough nor wide enough) but if budget dictates one lens only, then it's a fair compromise.

Well there is the rub. I only want to buy one lens, and for a specific purpose. I have a 28-70 zoom, but it isn't very fast, and it is fairly bulky - not something one can use covertly.

I'm thinking people will be the primary focus, so you reckon a 35?

So we are talking 'small and light here in PK-A? I like the 24mm f2.8 A, very light nice optic, runs in the $250-300 range used. In 28mm there are two f2 and f2.8 with the f2 rarer and optically superior, the f2.8 lens generally under $125. 35mm A lenses are far less common than 28mms so they tend to be more expensive. You might want to check out Boz's web page and narrow down your choices:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

I like the Kiron 28mm f2.0, which is as sharp as my Pentax A 28mm f2.8. I read the Pentax 28mm f3.5 should be a desireable killer lens, although comparably hard to focus.

I'm happy with a 24mm f2.8 Exakta A-lens.

The Pentax 35mm f2.0 is big, pricy but good.

With the M42 to K -adapter ring you must manually stop down the aperture before shooting. You must do it also in exposure measuremnt. It is a constant pain and I don't recommend screw mount lenses for fast action photography (like street shooting). In close-up work or in landscapes screw mount adapter is OK.

In practice I have found that I don't use my screw mount 35/3.5 at all although it is a lovely lens. Playing with the adapter is too cumbersome.

Lots of good ideas here.

I have a variety of wide angle lens ranging down to 19 mm. Of course, each one has it's own application, but probably the most useful single fixed focal length lens for street work (and some interior shots) I have is a Vivitar Series 1 24 mm f 2.0. Yes, 2.0. Fantastic depth of field even when it's nearly wide open, and the 2.0 works well for church interiors. It's a manual focus lens, you'll have to look for one used, they haven't been made in a number of years now, I think I paid less than $150 new, but I have no idea what they would go for.

IMHO anyway. Happy hunting, try the *-bay and photo flea markets.

LGH

<P>What do people think of the Tokina 28mm/2.8?</I><P>

I don't know anything about the Tokina, but if you're going to get a 28mm I see no reason not to get a genuine Pentax; you're not going to save a whole lot of money and you probably won't get much better quality. I don't know what price they're at now, but they've been under $50 in the last year. To me that doesn't leave much room for debate; just buy one and see how you like it.<P>

Alan

<i>if you're going to get a 28mm I see no reason not to get a genuine Pentax</i>

<br><br>

I'd agree with this in principle, but I recently got a Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8 (to use as a ~42mm equivalent on a *ist DS) and have been pretty disappointed by it. Not very sharp at all until about f/5.6. Perhaps I just got a dud?

I have used the Sigma 24-70 AF on my Pentax ZX-5N. I am probably not as good a photographer as those on this forum but this lens was quite good for what I was doing. I really enjoyed the 24 at tight places indoors.

The lens is for sale for $60 ... not because of quality, just "downsizing" my photo equipment.