Digital Film For DSLR!

HI

I have two film cameras.Contax t3 and Nikon F80.I really like to use

film cameras because i can choose my film.In the DSLR you dont have

that option so far and i can`t say i`m a experienced Photoshop user.

So i was imagining if it will be a camera(as i try to pic.it)that

will have film options inside the camera so you can easily use your

favorit film settings digitaly?Is this possible?

What do you guys thinking about that?

Thanks

irfi<div>00Dbd8-25722884.jpg.d26de8d90955a052713ad89ae3d15882.jpg</div>

Shoot raw, and do the rest at post-processing. The less you let the camera do, the less you risk thinking later "I wish I had used different settings".

To answer your question precisely, I'll say that your proposal is possible, being purely a software change. Whether it's really useful and/or worth the development cost is up to DSLR makers.

Like a previous poster said, shoot raw and do whatever you want in post processing. It doesn't take too long to learn the basics of post processing to get what you want from a good exposure. A lot less time then it takes to learn the intricacies of different films.

If you really want the camera to do it for you most have different JPEG modes that will give you more/less saturation/contrast/sharpness. I'm much happier shooting raw though. Then I don't have to think about or change my setting depending on the situation. I can do anything (and more) then the camera could do for me.

Not having to choose a specific film is incredibly liberating. No trying to decide what speed/emulsion to take with you or maybe taking multiple cameras to cover multiple situations. You can use post processing to get NPH, Velvia, or Tri-X all with the same shot.

Alan

To continue beating a dead horse here.....

why limit yourself to what film manufacturers consider good film characteristics? Shooting RAW and setting your own perameters later when you post process has many more possibilities than dialing in a film type before shooting. Choosing what you want from shot to shot is much more convenient than having to constantly switch rolls or be locked in to one type of film for 36 exposures. The more correct statement is DSLR users don't have to deal with the film option- we make our own decisions.

Don't we all wish...

The concept is great, and for those with the money to afford such, the Digital-R back is very nice, but like all things Leica, more will probably wind up on some collectors shelf than see actual use. If I added up the total cost of my two digital SLR's, the two zooms, two flash units and flash cards it would come close to $5,900.... and then you've got to be able to buy a body & a few decent lenses.

That simply isn't an option for enough people to make it an item for mass comsumption.

Let's price my new Digital R outfit per B&H as of today:

R9- $2,795

Digital Back- $5,995

50/1.4- $2,595

15/f2.8- $6,995

100/f2.8- $3,395

180/f2.8- $3,695

280/f4- $5,195

Or, if we wanted to forgo the 180 and 200 we can get an 80-200 f4 for "only" 2,295

Total (no zoom)- $30,665.00

With the zoom & no 180 or 280- $24,070.00

Of course, this includes no flash media, computer, software, printer, paper, ink, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I think film emulations should be standard equipment with RAW converters. In fact I'm surprised they don't already exist. No need to stop with films, though. There could be user-created profiles for color responses & palettes never seen in any film. (The capability to create profiles already exists with some RAW converters but it's not exactly user-friendly.)

While I like the ability to adjust color after-the-fact I also like shooting with a fixed palette. IMO working within boundaries encourages creative focus. Working without boundaries tends to encourage endless experimentation.

-Dave-

Ah, Raw Converters- here's where you can get as many answers as when you ask what slide film to use. Some cost, some are free, and everyone has a favorite. I have Photoshop CS2 that has Adobe Camera RAW built-in, but I've never been able to figure it out to get as good a result as I can with Capture One LE from Phase One. I paid $99 for it about 18 months ago & have been able to upgrade twice to improved versions of LE at no charge. I like the workflow of Capture One and, quite simply, am more comfortable with the program, but that does not mean it's necesarily one you'd want. Google it and check them all out- there's lots of options.

Shooting digital is like working with LF with the conveinience of 35mm... you can change things for every shot without taking the storage card out and changing it for another type, and don't have to take notes because you have EXIF to remember the details. :-)

I'd like a option to switch to Ektachrome infrared or crossprocessing but wouldn't mind doing this during RAW conversion, by clicking some icon rather than tweaking curves in the beginning.

About the rest of films I don't know much. - Aren't they just different crutches? - As a former B&W shooter I never minded the differences between realistic color films and usually just grabbed something, hoping it might do the job. A RAW workflow offers more options than being forced to capture whatever comes next with the unfinished roll loaded to a filmcamera.