DMR vs Canon 1DsMkII test on FM forum

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy, as I said earlier I won't offer any more comment on the relevancy of your "tests", but I

will respond to this: "you can hide behind that keyboard all you want but in my face would

you say the same degrading comments, I think not". Strange, why wouldn't I make these

comments to your face? Do you have a proclivity for mindless violence towards those who

hold different views to you? If not, then I can't see what the problem would be. In my day

to day life I have all kinds of discussions/disagreements with friends/colleagues which are

far more frank than the exchanges I've had with you here. It doesn't generally end in

violence or tears.......

Doris, so in your opinion how should one go abt testing digital cams and present it on the web? Also, should sample pix be in jpegs or raw? should PS be applied at all before presentation ? What are those technical qualities that are missing in Guy's pixs?

Thx

Doris there is a lot of catter but you are offereing me nothing to go by. I am not a engineer or scientist so those very testing procedures i simple cannot do. This is just a user report as I have said . next is some portraits and a couple other things , really at this point the DMR is proving a very worthy camera and if the 1dsMKII droped dead on me tommorrow not sure it would hurt me. Running tests like Phil does on Dp review bear not interest to me although I do like his review , I leave those kinds of reviews to guys like that. It is simply from a shooters perspective and no one can accept that here although I have got lots of support from guys that actually do this for a living. But you are offering me nothing and no guidance as to what you want to see. I really am not bias on this, if I don't like the DMR i could sell it in 5 minutes with no loss at all. I just did a couple more things , trying different lenses and seeing what looks good part of the issues is I am using the same software which i don't like to begin with but it is the only software they both share, could I make better files from program like C1 or Flexcolor , yes but than thinks just won't make sense. What I have found is noise seems to be great up to ISO 800, They leica files look smoother although the detail is on par with the Canon , the Canon can take a little more sharpening. DR looks better to me on the DMR not a ton but there for sure, My lenses certainly work better of the DMR because they are leica lenses. I think some portraits would be very helpful to see what is going on , I am planning on that and also I have a ad campaign the same day and will shoot it there also. This is not a technical review , there are more guys more qualified than me to run those tests , it is that simple and I am not going to put that much time in that. I just understand such the bashing I am getting from the beginning for no reason, this is the only forum were people gave me a hard time , why is that . Take the thing for what it is a user report. I have to explain my experience as a Pro and stuff that makes no difference at all, i don't understand. I did not come in here with it but was brought in here so please stay out of my face becuase you are bringing nothing to the table for me to work with , Also that other idiot that has said nothing at all except make degrading comments, oh that is powerfull stuff. I hide behind no keyboard my friend you know my web address my full name and any time you want to come to Arizona I am right here. Frankly i am a very freiendly guy , i just don't like to be insulted for no reason at all because you don't understand what I want to do. No one here as even suggested maybe try doing this or that just bashing me seems to be more fun. I have no desire to even think about posting anymore here, and maybe that is the goal, you want your own sandbox . Than so be it

Dear Mr. Mancuso,

thanks for your effort to give a user perspective on DMR and 1DS markII. I have been reading this forum everyday since it was in Philip Greenspun forum then to photo.net, so maybe it was about four years until now. Some reaction to your post is no surprise to me, and these guys really don't give any real contribution rather than give negative comments.

Just hoping one day I will be as lucky as you to have both

cameras :-)

Dear Mr Brad wrote:"What Doris is trying to say, and is apparently (and intentionally) being

lost here......"

Mr Brad, to begin with, just like you, I suspected that people were deliberately choosing to

misinterpret my comments. Now? I really don't know. Mr Guy keeps responding to points

that I (or anybody else for that matter) haven't made. I now feel like we're all starring in an

unusually odd episode of The Twilight Zone.

Mr Travis, I refer you to my earlier comments. The "test" that matters for either camera is

how they deliver in the hands of a photographer. Real world nuances are totally lost when

people photograph test charts and wooden fences - it takes time to understand the

potential/shortcomings of any camera.

Mr Chan, thx for the answer. I personally think too that one needs to use whatever cams they are testing extensively and over varying subjects and conditions before any solid opinions can be made.

Im sure Guy will do that one day. We all start somewhere. Hope to see more reviews.

btw, Im using the pentax ds* now and it beats the crap out of the DMR...hey just kidding ;)

Lennon's "Imagine" is a good listen in times like these. I have got a pentax ds shot below. Need some PS work to get the final results. Seems to me many people wants digital files to look like film, in which I conclude they think film is still better. Noone wants film to look like a digital image, kindda strange. Maybe one day we'll be there, digital looking like triX and jpegs kodachromish? hmmm, one day.

Time flies, my daughter si 5 months already.;)<div>00DKvV-25332684.jpg.20af46cff3d6dba090f1396196ac5205.jpg</div>

"The "test" that matters for either camera is how they deliver in the hands of a photographer. Real world nuances are totally lost when people photograph test charts and wooden fences - it takes time to understand the potential/shortcomings of any camera"

Ihave photgraphed neither I will leave test charts and grey patches to someone else there are reviews startinng to trickle in that will answer those kinds of questions for me is what you just said and what I have said all along is it is a users test, just shot my living room with lighting and it seems the leica is taking the big gun on pretty good the DR is aleast a stop and detail is equal with equal sharpening but the 1dsMKII can stretch the sharpening a little futher. Take my results for what they are , MINE. i hinestly don't know why i come back but it seems some of this is misunderstood. i am looking if these camera's are equal at the end of the day which one should I keep using all the time . The LCD and Histo make the canon look like turd I will say that as pure fact. You can make a white line histo over the whole LCD screen, that is very nice. Okay i am done said my peace you guy's carry on . Thanks for those that have supported my effort I do appreciate that, at least someone is taking the time to do it, in there bust schedule . i was lucky enough to get it in 2 day figured i share the joy of it. i guess some don't like Christmas in August

• 2 weeks later...

There's also a boom in the R to EOS adapter market, did you notice? All those adapters are dropping in price there's so many out there now. They were about 125 each, now..look! 3 or more for 125!

The heat is on. The market is telling Leica what to do: make lenses that work on other cameras...your cameras just suck while your lenses walk on water. How much more obvious does this have to get? Nobody wants your slr or with it's digital diaper, they want the freakin lenses, it's the lenses stupid!

b