Selling Posters

I am thinking of having a 1000 posters printed for sale to local gift shops. I have identified

local shops that sell tourist posters in my area and they price them anywhere from $12 to

$17.

One option would be to due consignment but I would prefer that the shops puchase the

posters up front since this is how I understand they purchase their other merchandise.

What I do not know is what is the average markup in gift shop for tourist souvenirs.

Another way to look at it is what margin to they require?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should sell the posters for so that the shop

oweners make their margin?

Thanks--Ed

Gift shops generally work on high profit margins that usually BEGIN at 100% mark-up, depending on their localé and the item in question. If they were to buy your posters outright, two things may happen: they might expect the right of return, and to pay less than if consigned. Your best bet is to simply ask. They'll have no secrets from you. Don't complicate your life with ignorance and doubts. March right into the shops with your wares in hand, and talk to the owners.

The question is what do you want for your time/effort? If they cost you X dollars do you double that to 2X and sell it to them. Figure your total time to and from the lab, to and from these shops and not to mention fuel and see what you have to sell them for. I agree also to sell them outright to the shops, most shops in the larger market with sometime add 200 to 300% mark up to them so the cost gets passed on. As I have said before don't give it away.

thanks for you input, I have no plan to give my work away if i have learned nothing else

from this board is that we need to charge a fair price or else we all lose.

i was expecting the 100% markup but 200% or higher I did not think of.

I have found the owners names and once I have some of my work prepared I am planning

on going to them and see if I can understand from them under what terms would they sell

my work and be open to consignment if that works out the best for both of us.

thanks--Ed