up my mind for my first 4x5. Often I come upon 4x5 folders referred as

Technical camera, whilst others are field cameras. Checking the

specifiactions in many case I wondered to reveal that technical

cameras are more limited movements-wise and bellows draw comparative

to competitively priced field cameras, albeit in most cases beign

metal-made rather then wooden.

few examples I figured so far are Wista Techical and probably Horseman

45FA

(though there are many other technical models).

I'll be grateful if someone could clarify what exactly measn the

camera being "technical" and why it suits more (or less ?) for a

landscape/moderate architecture work.

Regards, Alex

I suppose the term comes from the Linhof Technika, which is rather limited and unpleasant to use with WA lenses, what might exclude this kind of camera from serious architecture and landscape work. On the other hand it has the features of a press camera and can be used with rangemeter and viewfinder; even handhold, if you're strong. I don't know much about the others (because I've been shopping locally on the German used market), but you might like something with a additional wide angle bellows and so on.

The usual definition of a technical camera is a press camera with back movements. I don't know that they are better suited for landscape or moderate architecture work than say a wood field camera. It all depends on the particular camera. The Linhof Classic Master Technika and Technika 2000 are probably the best known examples of technical cameras in current production. I think they're prized mainly for their engineering, precision, durability, relatively long bellows, fairly extensive movements, and wide variety of backs and accessories than from being better suited to landscape or architecture than other cameras.

I'd have to partially disagree with Jochen's statement that they're unpleasant to use with shorter lenses and so aren't well suited to serious landscape and architecture work. I own a Classic Master Technika and almost all I do is landscape and architecture. Some of the best known landscape photographers in the world use Technikas (e.g. John Sexton, Bruce Barnbaum). My shortest lens is an 80mm and it's very easy to use with the Master Technika. I've also used a 75mm and it worked fine as well. But Jochin's correct if by short lens he means 65mm or shorter. That would be pretty much impossible with the Classic Master without the accessory wide angle focusing device. OTOH, the Master Technika 2000 can use lenses as short as something like 48mm without the need for an accessory device.

As stated, the "technical" cameras are indeed "field" cameras (which close up in a clam shell sort of fashion protecting the ground glass yet still being able to keep a short lens mounted), but as for being hard to work with... I can set my Tec III up in about 3 seconds and use my 65mm also by dropping the bed out of the way... it is a fact that I don't have to much movements when using the 65mm but I did have a recessed lens board made out of a piece of alum. stock on a CNC machine, and it works flawlessly. Years ago I was debating about getting a wooden one and could have gotten a used Zone... the beauty of a wooden camera is incredible to me but in the same sentence, a trusted salesman mentioned that wooden cameras swell when wet and I do do alot of "fowl" weather shooting... needless to say, I take my Tech III out whenever I venture out of the protection of the studio and don't worry about a thing!

Well I don't believe that the word of "technica" can be related to the single camera such as Linhof! Technically speaking the word comes from a technical design or difficulties to create a camera which is versatile enough, has light weight and allow a lots of camera movement (restitutions) and then when you don't need it you can fold a camera together to a size not bigger than your lunchbox!

They are often technically complicated design requires metal machine work which includes other technical solutions. So thats why Germans called the linhof for Technika! Linhof meant to use this camera frequent everywhere and not in just in one field! Mainly the name hangs on and often used as for very versatile optical bench cameras or other industrial cameras!

Possibilities with wooden field cameras are limited and wood have it's limitations as it often swells with high humidity or dries out with very dry conditions! Both of the conditions are bad but and there is a big but! They are much lighter to carry around a couple miles and you not going to risk that somebody years later going find a dead photographer in the dessert or in a high mountains lying beside his heavy equipment! Let face it! The field manage to do the landscape job and that's it! That's what is made for!