Filters for press cameras

red_jenny

I want to use an orange filter for landscape photography on a Super

Speed Graphic and don't have a lot of money -- any suggestions on

what product to use?

I have a second-hand conkin square filter (looks like 2 inches by 2

inches) which is marked A 31 -- I don't know if this is the right

filter for my desired effect (dramatic clouds) but I'll try it out --

the question is how to hold it in front of the camera -- by hand?

Also, I'd like to be able to use a diffusing effect filter. Any

suggestions? Can I use it on the enlarger instead of on the camera

thus having the option of printing a sharp image if I want in

addition to the diffused image?

You <i>can</i> hold a filter by hand but it's not terribly efficient. The Cokin filters have special holders that you'd need to buy. OTOH, if you know, or can measure, the filter thread on your lens you can often get second hand screw-fit round filters - much easier most of the time. The orange G, or red 25A (strong) are commonly used for dramatic skyscapes.

You <i>can</i> hold a filter by hand but it's not terribly efficient. The Cokin filters have special holders that you'd need to buy. OTOH, if you know, or can measure, the filter thread on your lens you can often get second hand screw-fit round filters - much easier most of the time. The orange G, or red 25A (strong) are commonly used for dramatic skyscapes.

Lee makes a basic kit consisting of a filter holder, a rubber band, and something like four filters (red, green, orange, yellow and maybe another one). The filters are about 4" square IIRC. I don't remember the cost but it isn't much. You put the filter in the holder and put the holder on the lens using the rubber band. It sounds kind of funky but it works fine and is nice because it can be used with virtually any lens.

Medium orange or orange-red filters give a nice dark but not black effect to a blue sky. Medium or dark red makes the sky darker but also turns some shades of green (e.g. foliage) almost black and so I seldom use reds for that reason. For a dramatic black sky try a red filter with a polarizer. That combination results in a long exposure time which isn't good if the clouds or something else in the scene is moving. You also have to check carefully for vignetting, especially with a short focal length lens. I'm generally not a big fan of black skies, I think they look phony, but they are dramatic and people who don't know any better (e.g. most of the people who are likely to buy your photographs) really like them.

Do you mean Cokin filter? The square filters go into a filter holder that attaches to your lens with an adaptor ring that screws onto your lens. I have 5 view camera lenses and three adaptor rings. With the three rings I can attach my filters to any of my 5 lenses. The holder can be seen at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=14262&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The adaptor rings must be matched to diameter of your lenses.

Paul

It's also possible to use the old "Series" filters; this is what I do with my two 2x3 press cameras. In my case, it's a 1 1/4" to Series VI adapter that presses on over the outside of the 103/4.5 Wollensaks.

I have in the past held filters against the front of the lens, or the front of the lens hood, and while it does work, it's not really something I recommend. :)

Folks, the OP (a) wants to spend as little money as possible and (b) seems to have one of those rare and fragile Graflex leaf shutters, top speed 1/1000, with integral lens hood that also serves for cocking the shutter. Odd sized bugger. Oh, yeah. The OP has a filter it thinks might serve if it can be held in front of the lens.

Play doh or the equivalent will hold the Cokin sheet temporarily to the lens hood.

Super Speed 135mm Rodenstock optars will hold 1 series VI filter. Unscrew the lens hood by turning counterclockwise, insert filter, reinstall and cock shutter when lens hood is snug against filter. When cocking the lens never twist harder than necessary to cock the shutter to prevent jaming the lens hood/filter holder/cocking ring.