the following information: "the dimensions, positions of contact

stripes, position and length of leads if there are any." Can anyone

supply me with this information?

I'm new at this and would like to open up the camera but am a little

wary. I also have a Canonet Jnr. and I got as far as removing the top

[or bottom plate -- can't remember now.] A manual would be useful,

but barring that, any help is welcomed! I've signed up for an

electronic repair course [evening school] but I'm not sure if cameras

would fall into the type of equipment to be "repaired".

I just opened up the front of my Canonet (original model with 1.9 lens) which doesn't work yet for other reasons. You can get to the selenium cell by just removing the front ring retaining the light-diffusing bobbly glass. Be careful though, as the diffusing bit and the cell are pressed forward by a spring behind, and will try to turn with the retaining ring.

The cell is indeed circular; almost exactly fills the same area as the diffuser, so get the dimensions from that. My digital's at work, or I'd put up a picture. I always suspected the circular shape was for cosmetic purposes (and I still bet it is in some lesser cameras). I suspect your best source for a replacement is another Canonet. Or use it with a hand-held meter; it's still a very nice camera. Good luck!

Yes, as others have said, the selenium cell on the original large-bodied Canon Canonet is indeed circular. The purpose of this was not solely for cosmetics, it allowed for automatic filter compensation when the filter was screwed onto the lens. This way, the lightmeter was metering through the filter. Why on earth would you want to spend $50 USD or more to have a camera worth less than $20 repaired so that the light meter works? Do yourself a favor, spend that money you would otherwise put into the Canonet and buy a nice, completely accurate handheld or shoe-mounted light meter. This way, any other cameras you buy without working selenium meters (or without built-in meters at all) can be used with a light meter. By all means, use your Canonet as much as possible (I fully enjoy using the example I have, though I am currently selling it), just don't waste money on it. Instead, get a more "versatile" accessory meter, and learn how to estimate exposure yourself.

Thank you for your answers. Danny is quite right about wasting money in fixing the Canonet. Truth is I just want to learn how to fix my cameras, and the Canonet is the least valuable. If I screw up, I'm not messing up one of my SLRs. Ideally I would like to learn how to clean my own cameras and fix simple[?] things. I also fix up old bikes...all money wasting hobbies!

Hi Justin,

I have a Canonet Junior and what looks like a Canonet from 1962 - the very early model with the lever at the bottom. I bought a Service Manual [covers all the Canonets]but it's too advanced for me. I can't even open up the camera. Yes, I know Danny, I'm throwing good money after bad.

So you also have a Canonet Junior? I used to have one, a pristine one w/ case to be exact. However, I sold it on Ebay months ago. It also was a fun little picture taker, and despite it's inconsistent meter, it took some great pictures! Like I said, if both cameras work, use them. Unfortunately, the Junior is useless if the meter is wildy inacurrate or nonfunctional.

• 2 weeks later...
I've managed to remove both the top and bottom covers of the Canonet Junior, but I'm stuck as to how to remove the two front leather panels. The manual shows them removed but I don't see any screws. Furthermore, the front looks to be one unit with the leather glued to it. Also, how does one remove the flash unit connector socket, as I suspect it has to be removed first? All advice welcomed!