More special editions

clayh

Ran across this yesterday by chance. Another (shock!) special edition MP. The MP3. With an

M3 style top plate and M2 style frame counter dial. Any bets as to the USA price? With a name

like the MP3, I wonder if it will play music as well.

<a href="http://www.theclassiccamera.com/hermes/shop/23,1,100">http://

www.theclassiccamera.com/hermes/shop/23,1,100</a>

What a crock of BS. Great example of Madison Avenue HYPE.The original MP was a flop. In two years they only produced 450 units that does not sound like they were flying off the shelf. The M2 came out in 1958 and was much preferred by amateur and journalist and were a good deal cheaper. Unlike today in 1956 & 57 people had more common sense than money.

Bill the definition of a high profile pro must have been anyone with enough money in his wallet to buy a MP as they were offered in the Leica catalog. The Leitz Co. may not have been the smartest company around but they were not stupid. That didn't happen until the M5.

Ronald,

The new MP itself is hardly "for recreation." If you like some of your older M's features, such as the all metal winding crank and solid rewind knob, but also like to have multiple lens options, a very bright and clear rangefinder, and a meter, the MP provides the ultimate in useability. Period. In my humble opinion, of course...

Actually, upon closer inspection of the shot of the silver one, it _looks_ like it has the old-style threaded lip for the M2-M6 style eyepiece! Too bad about the price (more than 3000 UK pounds), in US dollars that's over $5600 for the body alone! My wife would have me committed if she even suspected I could _think_ about it : (

I LOVE my M2, my M6 sits unused most of the time. The only thing it lacks is a built in meter & now it looks like I can have one for only about $5000 more than I paid for my M2! I had been thinking about cross breeding a M6 & a M2 but the expense was too high, but this makes it look cheap! Well maybe they will come out w/ a production version some day for us peons that want to use them. I was bummed when they did the M6J because that was what I wanted for 50 & 90 low light work but could not afford it, a few years later I was able to get a M6 .85 which was close enough. So I'll just wait & hope they bring out a user version, I'd buy one of these for a user if I could figure a way to hide the bill from my wife!

Sorry for the rant.

Jim

No Mark that is what you said. Leica hoped that the public would except the M5 as the next step in the M range finder camera. The public didn't and Leica found them self in a serious financial bind.Distributors and merchants in revolt with sales in the toilet. With there money tied up in tooling and parts for a camera no one wanted. A financial blunder that almost caused the collapse of the Leitz CO. Now thats what I call STUPID! The M5 is one of the best cameras Leica ever built. Unfortunately people didn't want it.

Al Henry-I stand corrected. Thanks for your answer. Over at Camera Quest they think the same of the camera. Now,Leica needs money-so,why don't they get out the tooling for some of those screw mount cameras,and run off several thousand "Anniversary" models,and some screw mount lenses to go with them? I'll bet all the collector's,especially in Japan,would be waiting outside the doors at Solms for them. KA-CHING!!!