Using Color Negatives for Black and White Alternative Photo Process

I'm about to learn alternative photographic techniques (platinum

printing, calotype, etc.). I know the processes involve contact

printing the paper with the negative, which is either a large format

negative or a large negative made from a smaller 35mm B&W NEGATIVES.

I have made 35mm COLOR NEGATIVES that I want to enlarge and use for

the alternative photographic processes rather than for B&W printing.

I want to know what the outcome is of enlarging 35mm color negatives

on black and white duplicating film. What adjustments such as in

contrast or development are to be made in this translation process?

Very few people do it through enlarging on film any more. Most folks I've talked to and worked with have now gone the digital route for enlarged negs. I know a photographer that takes 12x20 and still digitizes his negs so he can control the printing curve.

There are two main systems - Dan Burkholder's (Dan's running a class in it at Photographers' Formulary next month) and Mark Nelson's Precision Digital Negs. I've used both systems and they each have their pluses.

The point is, for alternative process contact printing, there is more than enough info on a 4X5 negative - the costs of scanning it, the film itself and the gear are much much lower; not to mention the inconvenience of lumbering a 12x20 around when a 4x5 would do - he must have rocks in his head to be doing that with a 12x20...

No a 4x5 doesn't have the same information as the 12x20. And further more you don't know what you are talking about. There are reasons people move to ULF, you can't get the same quality out of 4x5 that you can get out of a larger format.

Actually Steve

I shoot 12X20. I know the reasons. Contact printing - and you use very little of the negatives potential for contact printing (probably only need actual rez of less than 15 lpmm - there is more than enough in a decent 4X5 neg to make perfect 12X20 digital negatives - it's a question of scanning; and the options of extracting data from a 4X5 negative are great - how does your very clever friend scan his 12X20 negs?

A4 sized scanner and photoshop. The printing requirements for carbon printing (to get high relief) are substancially different than for Pt/Pd printing. That's why he does it and he's a world famous printer. I don't see you name bandied around in publications or galleries, so excuse me why I trust his expertise and ignore you.

Its not a matter of information, its a matter of the Dynamic Range that is optimized for the process. I know he does this. I've worked with him. You're the one that called him "Daft". If you don't understand it, admit, move on, or shut up.

I think you should update you reading skills and curtesy.

<p><i>Who shoots 12x20 and then digitizes to control the curve? That would have to be completely daft - why not just shoot 4X5?</i>

<p><i>... he must have rocks in his head to be doing that with a 12x20...</i>

<p><i>... ask him before trying to be a <b>smartass</b> because you misunderstand his methodology....</i>

<p>How about you grow up and quit calling people names.

<p>BTW, I'm done with this conversation (and you). People don't need to see us squabble. Life's too short to waste it on negative people.

• 2 weeks later...

" you use very little of the negatives potential for contact printing (probably only need actual rez of less than 15 lpmm"

very incorrect

"there is more than enough in a decent 4X5 neg to make perfect 12X20 digital negatives - it's a question of scanning"

You are pushing it if you are makign digital negs via inkjet - possibly, just possibly if you are using an imagesetter. It also depends a lot on what process you are using.

It seems you don't quite seem to know what you are talking about here