Best time to visit southern china

david_lacina

Hello,

I'd like to ask about best time to visit Southern China. I'd like to

photograph mostly the nature around Guilin, but have around three

weeks so other recommendations are welcomed - would be nice for

example to visit some "less known" indigenous groups. I dont mind

having it rough on a trip. I'd be arriving in Guangzhou.

Thanks, David.

David,

First and foremost AVOID times when everyone else in China is traveling is traveling. This includes the first week in May, the time around New Year (Chinese) and there is a date in the fall I cannot recall. It is totally overwhelming to have to deal with crowds like that especially if you are from North America.

We were there the week after the May holiday and it was much more pleasent. True, it was very warm and we had to dodge our trip down the Li River to Yangzhou to avoid rainy days. On the rainy days we hit the caves, quite incredible. If you go very late in the summer I understand it can be very hot and the river is a lot lower but you are less likely to be disapointed by too many clouds blocking the views, and I tell you the views are spectacular! We spent three days in Guilin and only two in Yangshou, personally I wish we had spent more in Yangshou as Guilin, although beautiful is a big city (what city in China isn't big thogh?). I rented a bike in Yangshou and had an absolutely glorious day.

Fall is said to be beautiful, but I have no personal experience. By the way if you see the newest Star Wars you'll actually see some of the area near Guilin, its Wookie-land (planet, whatever)

I bought some winter postcards of Guilin, I was surprised to see they had snow (it must be rather rare though). Lovely too.

Since you have more time than I do you likely should go to Longsheng. It has many local cultures including Dong,Zhuang, Yao, and Miao. There is an area nearby where women with incredibly long hair wash it in the local stream/river (I've seen the photos anyway). The area also offers beautiful terraced rice fieldsand the area offers some excellent forest reserves. Try and avoid the tacky hot springs.

Hi David,

I am travelling in Southern China at the moment and unless you're really into photographing torrential rain then I'll chime in and say that August isn't such a good time :)

However, there have been a few good moments when either the rain is about to start or it has just stopped.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

David,

Id certainly recommend staying in Yangshuo over Guilin - Ive been there a few times and organising anything from Guilin is less convenient and more expensive.

In Yangshuo a good contact is an Australian guy called Alf who owns a pub call "Buffalo Bar" (head down West street towards the river, about the second last lane on the left and about 2~3 shops down on the right side once in the lane). He runs a web site at www.yangers.com that gives you information and hes usually rather prompt and answering questions on the area. He can arrange accommodation, airport pickup, guides, etc and help with a lot of issues. As for accommodation there are a lot of nice rooms available for around RMB 120 (US$15) a night - White Lion springs to mind, you can even phone this hotel to book and get English speaking staff (http://www.whitelionchina.com/).

...and best of all, he only does this to promote tourism in the town; and have you drink his beer of course :)

Craig / Bangkok<div>00DDHV-25152084.jpg.c90fb0bb3a25af044f802cdfebeee205.jpg</div>

David,

Times of the year are going to affect your lighting options but Ive attached some shots to give you an idea - all B&W but thats all I shoot.

Its easy to get to where you want to go when you want to do it. Just avoid travelling with groups, else you loose your control ...and its certainly cheap enough to have a dedicated guide.

From your web link, the shots of the rice terraces and long haired woman are from Longsheng. This is north Guangxi province and requires about a 4 hour drive to get there. Once there, you will find some nice, new accommodation available if you wished to hang around for sunrises and sets. To walk the track around the terraces is about 3 hours and as half of it is up hill - ensure youre used to walking and have lots of water.

If you need other info, drop an email...

regards

Craig / Bangkok<div>00DDyZ-25175484.thumb.jpg.bdc55701ac362f0b7e241618e2449ac3.jpg</div>

David - I spent a couple days in Guilin and a few hours in Yangshou trying to find a bus. Make sure you give yourself enough time in Yangshou because there looked to be some interesting things there. Should you miss your bus back to Guilin, just catch one of the country busses out of the bus area and they'll get you back for 10 yuan. If you can meet an english speaker and have them tour you around, it's easier. Don't miss those caves!!! There's nothing as colorful in the US. Of the cities I visited, Guilin was the tougest to get around in but this is all relative.

Here are my photos from that section of my trip:

<a href="http://aaronlinsdau.com/asia/china/guilin/guilin.html">http://aaronlinsdau.com/asia/china/guilin/guilin.html</a>

"There's nothing as colorful in the US".

Well to be fair the color in these caves comes from colored lights not the results of natural color in the formations. So in other words if the subtle natural colors of irons and alabaster are your gig you are in for a bit of a shock. While the colors in the Guilin caves are a 'bit over the top' it is quite well pulled off IMHO, especially Reed cave.

Douglas - You are correct. The color of the stone probably isn't markedly different. Geologists and cave weenies will disagree. Carlsbad caverns has theatrical lighting design but they don't use a lot of wild colors like Reed flute or Seven Star do. In lighting mastery and wild use, the Chinese win hands down. Is it over the top? Maybe. Is it visually impressive? Definitely.

I was in Yangshuo for a week at the end of October, 2002. The weather was fine at that time.

I would recommend spending more time in Yangshuo than in Guilin.

It is easy to find a guide for the area. Most likely, they will find you. One of the hotels across from the bus station (I think it is called "Good Host") will have some young women hanging around, who work as guides. Also, when I was there, an outfit was advertising guides for photographers - it was on the main tourist street (the street with lots of cafes) - probably more expensive, but focussed on photography.

If you have three weeks, it is easy to make a side trip to the Longji rice terraces. In mid October, most of the rice has been harvested, and all that remains in the paddies is the stubble. It will be foggy and rainy. You even have time to travel on to Chengyang and the "Wind and Rain Bridge". Both Longji and Chengyang are "minority" areas. I wouldn't call them "less known", but I don't think they have reached the point of charging you to take their photograph, yet.

"Golden Week" falls on the week that includes October 1. It is a heavy travel time. However, I would guess that it won't be too bad to travel mid-week. I was in Jiuzhaigou during Golden Week, and it wasn't too bad.

• 1 year later...

apart from guilin, here are some other top attractions of china that may interest you to take photograph:

The silk road

Lushan

Huangshan

Wudalianchi

Huanglong

Wulingyuan

The Great Wall

The Mogao Caves

The Hukou Waterfalls

The Longmen Grottoes

The Yungang Caves

The Huangguoshu Waterfall

Diaoshuilou Waterfall

Maijishan Grottoes

Forbidden City

you can find them on: http://www.chinaeguide.com/china-travel/china-top-attractions/

Sorry for double reply, but the prevoius one seems not looking good.

Here is what I wrote previously:

"apart from guilin, here are some other top attractions of china that may interest you to take photograph:

The silk road

Lushan

Huangshan

Wudalianchi

Huanglong

Wulingyuan

The Great Wall

The Mogao Caves

The Hukou Waterfalls

The Longmen Grottoes

The Yungang Caves

The Huangguoshu Waterfall

Diaoshuilou Waterfall

Maijishan Grottoes

Forbidden City

you can find them on: http://www.chinaeguide.com/china-travel/china-top-attractions/

"

• 2 years later...