Changing Color Space in Capture 4.3

mr-mike

I have a couple of hundred pictures which were shot in Adobe RgB

inadvertently. My local photo printers cannot handle this color

space, so I need to change them all into sRGB. Is there an efficient

way to do this in Batch?

<BLOCKQUOTE><I><B>Mike Offit, jul 12, 2005; 10:52 a.m.</B>

<br>

I have a couple of hundred pictures which were shot in Adobe RgB inadvertently. My local photo printers cannot handle this color space, so I need to change them all into sRGB. Is there an efficient way to do this in Batch?

</I></BLOCKQUOTE>

Presuming that you were/are shooting in NEF format, and that you have a working copy of Nikon Capture handy, yes.

<ul>

<LI>

Put all of the to-be-precessed images in a separate subdirectory, by themselves

</LI>

<LI>

Create a second (empty) subdirectory to receive the output of the Batch operation

</LI>

<LI>

Fire up Capture, then set ALL of the "tools" except for "Advanced RAW" to OFF (i.e., with a red "X" in the checkbox, instead of a green "check-mark").

<LI>

Use the "Advanced RAW" tool to set "Color Mode" to sRGB.  Optionally, tweak the other settings found there (Exposure Compensation, Sharpening, etc.) as needed; but be aware that the adjustments will apply to ALL of the images in the batch.

</LI>

Save off this Image Adjustments "set" under a suitably descriptive name (such as "CVT-sRGB.set", for example) using the [settings | Image Adjustments | Save All Adjustments] pull-down menu items.

</LI>

<LI>

Now, go to the [Tools | Batch] menu item, and enter the following values in the dialog box which will appear:

<ul>

<LI>

Under "Source", use the "Browse" button to set the data field to the path/filename of that first dedicated directory mentioned above (i.e., where all the to-be-converted files are).

</LI>

<LI>

Under "Image Adjustments", make sure that the "Apply settings in" radio button is selected, then use the "Browse" button to set the data field set to the path/filename of wherever you saved off the Image Adjustments Set (CVT-sRGB.set) you created a few steps ago.

</LI>

<LI>

Under "Destination", ensure that the "Use source folder" checkbox is NOT checked, and that the "Use source file name" checkbox IS checked.  Then use the "Browse" button to set the data field to the path/filename of that empty dedicated "output" directory discussed above.  You'll want "Save as type:" to be whatever the lab can handle, such as "TIFF Format" or "JPEG Format", and that the secondary parameters are selected appropriately.

</LI>

</ul>

</LI>

<LI>

Now press the "Start" Button, and let 'er rip!

</LI>

</ul>

Note that there near-certainly are other ways to skin this particular cat; but if it is "doable", this one would probably be (at least nearly) the most painless, and it will NOT have any "permanent" effect on your "original" image files, due to the nature of how Capture works with .NEF files.

<br>

<br>