Looking for the right BW film.

I've been very happy with Efke films, especially Efke 25. White whites and black blacks,

and a grain that just melts. BTW, can't wait for your new website to be up and running -

I've dug your photo work on your n-gised site and would like to see your new stuff.

Keep in mind that scanning and digital manipulation can alter and even distort what you see online. My photo.net self portrait has this "look":

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=172915

It's all digital, from the color photo taken with a P&S digicam to the digital editing that converted it to monochrome. The rest was incremental tweaking and sharpening as I downsized the original. The larger original image has a more conventional broader tonal range.

However this look can be achieved with traditional materials and methods many ways. You could try some ISO 25 or 50 films but you might do as well with 100 or 400 films.

I wouldn't "push" the film too much, whether underexposing and overdeveloping or simply overdeveloping. Instead I'd go for the extra contrast during the printing stage. This is one example where true "split filter" printing could help. By that I mean selectively using magenta filtration here, yellow there, etc., while dodging and burning. Bleaching and intensifying might help as well. So would a cold tone paper and selenium toner.

BTW, I don't see any point in presoaking most films at all, let alone for three to five minutes. I repeat myself so often on this issue I'll simply quote myself from another thread:

"Why are you presoaking for three minutes? Ilford recommends no presoak at all. According to an Ilford representative this is because Ilford films include a wetting agent designed to facilitate rapid and even absorption of developer, making presoaking unnecessary and possibly detrimental.

"Even films that may benefit from some presoaking in plain water to remove excess water soluable dyes (such as Agfa APX and Efke films) no more than a minute is needed.

"In my experience Ilford and Kodak have no readily water soluable dyes so they don't benefit from presoaking and I've seen absolutely no evidence that presoaking these films improves development."