Remove the Average and Photographer Average list

yongbo

Why should I pay my $25 to support the mate raters? It's time to

remove the Average and Photographer Average list. The top

photographer ranking should be reviewed by the site moderators based

on the non mate ratings. We should spend more time on the POW

discussion instead of figure out how to put our pictures on the top

page. Remember, PN is a learning site.

I largely agree with you Yongbo. These two lists are just daft, and pander to the more

egotistical amongst us. It provides a Holy Grail for the mate-raters, and their loyal

followers.

Of course not everyone on those pages falls into this category, as many people there are

very tallented, honest and genuinly well respected - these photographers however also

feature highly in the pages produced from the request for critique, and it goes to show

that they have got their ratings more honestly.

At least the default pages no longer show these lists! Admin, have done their best in

recent months, and I suppose that if these "mate-rate" pages were removed, then people

who like that system will just find devious new ways to influence the more honest, default

TRP pages!

As for the $25 - I don't begrudge this at all. For what it provides, and the fun it gives,

photo.net is really cheap at this price, and I would be glad to pay more!

Regards, Nick.

I say get rid of all the options except Rate Recent Average, the current default, and provide category options instead.

As far as the $25 goes, it's the best value for money I think I get in a year. As opposed to the nearly $800 per year I pay for cable TV.

agree more or less with Jamie, at least if no other more drastical change will be introduced soon. Mate raters have made all the other options almost useless, since they appear in all the classifications.

But that is something I'd miss, since not much time ago, it used to give out good arrangements of photographs of different kinds.

Probably a more sophisticated solution would be to use only rates coming from the Rate Recent rotation to keep on using those classifications.

Just for the sake of being complete here's what I added to the bottom of a recent thread, though I think a little too late:

I think the next steps should be:

(1) ONLY allow rating through the RR.

(2) Make the RR completely anonymous. Even if the picture is clicked on to display comments, no photographer name is given.

(3) While a picture is in the RR it is not displayed as part of the photographer's portfolio. It is also not shown as recently loaded.

(4) In the "Questions..." section of the photographer's workspace, pictures currently in the RR are identified in some way. Maybe a red "RR" after the title.

(5) When the photographer views his/her own portfolio the first folder shown is named "Rate Recent" and contains those pictures currently in the RR queue.

(6) Ratings may NOT be changed. I don't think it should be possible to change comments either but that's another issue. I hate it when people completely change the content of a message post discussion.

(7) While in the RR no photographer name is given for a picture listed in a member's rating history.

The big hole with this is that photographers can add identifying marks to their pictures. No answer to this one yet.

Brian, sorry for the repetition.

Since there are almost no complains about the new RR system and most of us participate the new system, why PN still needs two playgrounds? Exclude the photos go through the RR queue in the average list, you can just rename it to "Top Mate Raters".

The 25 bucks are a super deal. Plenty of display space and the large views of the images are excellent. Other sites do NOT have this level of display ability. While the mate raters are assumed to be neutralized by the RR implementation, the mate rating is still going on even thru RR. (Supposedly "anonymous ratings reflect the fact that when mate raters find their buddies in the RR qeue, they simply give them the 6/6 or 7/7 anyway). So in effect, we do have a double standard, which we have to live with. speaking out against the practice in the critique section will only result in your own pictures getting the shaft in the anonymous RR or being flamed.

The solution? Start your own netsite or take your images someplace else. This is apparently what quite a number of photo.net users are doing, either because they have burned out on photo.net, or because of frustration over this single issue.

John, I remembered that Brian wrote something called "Calvin Ball". It might be used several times, but not anymore. Now PN just like a ghost town, people who used to fight with the mate raters, some got banned from the "feedback" forum, some got banned from the site. I can't believe a few mate raters can turn this site upside down.

Yongbo, you are right about this site being turned upside down by these types. The Mate-

Raters are now refering to ratings of 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, and even 7s (if not as part of an

"expected" 7/7) as "Venge-Rating", and are calling it abuse!

Its still a great site though, it is just getting more difficult to ignore the bull.

Nick.