what spray to use to protect Inkjet print outs on photo paper?

Hi everyone, I just bought a CIS for my Epson R200. I find the colors

good compared to the real Epson inks, but when I print with Kodak

Premium High Gloss paper, I find the print out to be easily smudged as

if the ink almost doesn't stick completely to the paper. I don't know

if this a problem with the ink or with the paper. Anyway, if I use a

spray, would that give it enough protection? If so what kind should I

get and what should I expect to spend?

What do you suggest? I'm actually charging a client for these print

out. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions, I wanted to use premium glossy paper since I'm printing 4x5 pictures of interior photography. I like that extra shiny to show the detail.

But I was also thinking about the ink drying time. What brand/type of paper would you guys recommend for this kind of work. I was just testing this paper because I was able to pick up a pack of 100 from Costco and found that to be much cheaper than other stores that give me only 20 sheets for the same price.

Perhaps it's what I get for what I paid for...

Best advise tonight. Use Epson ink, Epson paper....with your Epson printer. The print will be

nice, no ink smudged, no problem. As for the spray, i dont think you will need it anymore,

but in case if you live in Canada, try INKJET FIX from Geppe, or if youare in the US, try

Premiere Art Print Shield.

I've used several different sprays on many types of papers over the past 5 years. I have had no problem with clumping. The only time I had a problem was when I put my pics outside (I always do) to spray them in a stiff breeze and the spray ran before it set. That lesson learned, I've never had problems again. It is important to spray from the distance listed on the lable. Spray too close leads to uneven distribution of the product.

Conni

The main problem I have found is when using Kodak glossy paper the black inked areas seem to take an age to dry. This becomes particularly noticable when mounting the photo behind glass or plastic. The black areas stick to the glass and get a glaze of their own. This can occur even when the ink jet print has been allowed to 'dry' for several days! Using matt paper is a cure, I have never used a surface spray, perhaps I should.

Jeff Owen , oct 04, 2005; 12:11 p.m.

The main problem I have found is when using Kodak glossy paper the black inked areas seem to take an age to dry. This becomes particularly noticable when mounting the photo behind glass or plastic. The black areas stick to the glass and get a glaze of their own. This can occur even when the ink jet print has been allowed to 'dry' for several days! Using matt paper is a cure, I have never used a surface spray, perhaps I should.

Jeff, this is very true of what is happening to my prints. Of course I didn't realize that I was supposed to "dry" for that long. I don't see anywhere in the package that tells me how much time should be permitted for the print to dry. I suppose the "density" of the print does have an affect on the time that it would take to dry, but really, how can I control the density if it's the printer that calculates the color mixing?