Camera ISO was set at 100, but film is Tri-x 400

Argh... 400 to 100 is a big step.

I shoot (on purpose) this picture as 200 Asa and developed 30% less.

http://www.photo.net/photo/3291125

I think you will have to live with blown out highlights. If you reduce too much development you will end up with no midtone separations and risk uneven development.

I would suggest rather 40% less... OR ...

try to use a developer as Rodinal. I don't knw what kind of devs you have access to, but Rodinal is a slow speed developer...

Rodinal 1+50, 20 degrees Celsius, 7'30"

you will get quite grainy images, but Rodinal has a distinct grain pattern with TriX that provides a nifty look.

Have a look at www.digitaltruth.com on the "massive dev chart".

You will have to reduce development time, but you might be close enough. I actually rate my Ilford FP4+ at 32 which is an equivalent two-stop overexposure. Tri-X is pretty forgiving, and rating it at 100 as a matter of practice is not unheard of.

You could try to mix some D-23 (water, sodium sulfite, metol) which is a compensating developer that might keep your highlights from being too blown. I actually use this developer all the time and am pleased with the results I get. On the upside, you should get great shadow detail, so all is not lost.

Repeat the error with another partial roll, about six exposures. Cut off 6 in the dark and develope about 40% less than normal. Then print them and if they are ok, develope the original roll. If not, shoot 6 more and adjust the development.

You will learn a lot doing this. The pictures are salvageable, infact they are potentially quite nice.

Start with D76 1:1 and 5 minutes at 68. Agitate 10 sec per min rather than 5 sec every 30.

To me, this is a no brainer. Develop in Microdol X. It is a soft working developer to begin

with and it effectively reduces the speed of Tri-X. While straight Microdol and Tri-X yield

a speed of about 200, I think that the tonality at 1:3 is worth risking a little density. I

would suggest Microdol 1:3 and pulling it.

Thanks for all of the responses...now my next question is do only reduce the time in the developer, or do I reduce the time for all other chemicals as well?

I really like the idea of reshooting another roll and doing test strips, this way I can truly learn more about developing my film...I think try that...thanks again

If you cut the development time you'll reduce the contrast too. You might be better off not reducing the time "according to the math" because while the density might make for fast printing times your pix will be way too flat. Maybe cut the time 15 to 20% max, and live with the slightly dense negatives.