Best Focal Length for Group Shots ? Wide-Mid-Or Tele?

waynelittle

Could anyone let me know their opinions on the best focal lengths for

group shots? I know there are variables such as amount of people, but

lets say about 50-60, and general rules of thumb.

Do wide lens' work (28mm) or should the more natrual looking field of

view from 50mm be used? Any examples would be welcomed.

regards Wayne

<i>The longest that the distance allows</i><p>

Remember you have no control over this, you need a lens that will be there for you whatever the circumstances. When you're charging for your work, excuses aren't acceptable. There's no Bride in the world that will accept 'I didn't have a wide enough lens' instead of photo's.

600mm f/4. I like to put them on one mountain and stand on the other.

Seriously, I agree with Phil. In general you go with the best lens you can get away with, and if

you need much under 35 it's a good sign that you should try to fond another location, but

there are a lot of times I'm forced to take a photo in a tight situation with no viable

alternative.

It depends on the size of the group and how they're posed. A group can be as small as two people. 50-60 people side-by-side would require a much different lens than 5 lines of 10 people sitting on a hill.

I have no problem using a 28mm lens for groups. I have seen no distortion with the lens I'm using. If I'm doing table shots, for example, I find I can't include everyone at a circular table with a 35mm lens.

Much in photography is a compromise: we need to use what works best under the circumstance of the event.

Although I agree with the suggestion "the longest lens you have room with", sometimes a 28mm wide angle lens must be pressed into service due to the location. In general a 35mm lens is the widest without having too much barrel distortion towards the edges and exaggerated perspective, a 28mm, if used correctly by arranging the groups, you climbing on a ladder (minimizing the front to back distance), and plain using a high quality prime (not zoom), you can still get a great shot.

It also depends on which camera you are using. If you use a digital your lens needs to be wider, and the crop will be different depending on which body you have.

It also will depend on the circumstances of how the group is positioned. Can you shoot them close together? How much room do you have? How far back can you get?

For a group as large as 50 I don't see where a 35mm lens will be useful unless you are far away. I like to be closer when I shoot groups so you can see faces more clearly. I usually start with the 17-40 or if I use a prime, 24 1.4L If I have room, one of those usually does the trick.

Lou

I've use a Canon 70-200 2.8L on a 1.6 crop factor DSLR and achieved *excellent* results (more than 50 people in the frame), all on church steps with the bride and groom in front, early evening, after 5PM, and outside of course (sun sets after 8PM). There is no one best focal length, but I would start around 40mm and work up to even 135mm if you have room behind you to put some distance between camera and subjects.

During a wedding in Glen Ellen, Sonoma County, CA, at a little old church, there was a social hour after the ceremony in a small patio where we took some casual and posed photos. One of the photos was of every member of both families. The only spot was on a grass area in the shade, and I had to stand on a bench aroung an old oak tree to get high enough to include the 60 plus people with the 28mm lens. My only concern was that I could see every face and hope for the best. I took more thqan one photo! It was not a very artistic photo, but everyone was in it and that's what the B/G wanted.

That's what I ment when I said we sometimes need to compromise and do the best we can under the circumstances handed to us.

Ideally, we would have good steps or risers or a nice hill, and there would be plenty of room to use a longer lens, but that has never been my experience.

I really don't think that there is an argument here. We simply need to use the equipment we need to use to fit the situation, and we need to have that equipment with us.