Contaflex Super - Debris in Viewfinder

I inherited the Contaflex Super in excellent cosmetic and working

condition, complete with leather case. Shutter speeds are right on;

metering works well; the pictures are fine. The only problem is

debris in the viewfinder. I would like to find the service manual,

or at least diagrams on how to get to the Viewfinder for cleaning.

The Super is the model with the selenium cell above the taking lens,

and the film speed dial on the front near the rewind knob.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (other than sending it in for

CLA).

Jack

Hi, Jack. If you will look inside the camera (where the film canister sits), you should see a large screw (about 1/4" to 3/8" in diameter at the head). If you remove this, you can insert a Q-Tip or other similar swab and clean the screen and mirror carefully. Personal tip: wrap the tip of the Q-Tip with some sort of low-lint cloth or paper towel, and attach that to the shaft with Scotch tape. This will keep you from leaving cotton fibers on the screen and mirror. Good luck. The other option is to remove the top and then remove the pentaprism/focus screen cage, but this way is easier.

Jon

Jon, Thanks for that suggestion. The screw was "hidden" under the plastic film canister shroud. One whiff from the blower brush "re-distributed" the specks, and the VF appears clean. I can follow your procedure (wiping) if the debris reappears.

Yes, Bill, I agree. Thanks! This camera is one from my departed uncle, and is not used often. If I sent all my cameras for CLA, I would have to mortgage the house. I can service most cameras here, but the Contaflex is mechanically different than most.

Thanks, both for the response.

Jack :-)

Please do not use canned air, Jack. The pentaprism and focus screen are a sealed unit, and there are two problems here: (1) the seal around the bottom edge is what looks like electrical tape. It is no longer stuck as well as it was 45 years ago, and you could blow it off. This would require you to take the camera apart to get it out. (2) you don't want to risk forcing bits of dust into the sealed unit. It won't be dirty inside...at least it won't be unless somebody has monkeyed with it. Please...no compressed air. I still service the models I and II, but no others.

Jon

If you remove the top plate (not terribly difficult if you are careful), you can remove the pentaprism/focus screen cage. Be very careful to notice the washers which are under the mounting "ears" or tabs. You'll need to put them back just like they were to preserve focus and image orientation. Once you have it out, you can remove the old mirror damper if you are very patient and careful. Replace it with some 1.5mm open-celled pad (I can send you a piece...let me know if you decide to do this). The old pad disentegrating is what is messing up your viewfinder. The mirror slaps it, knocks off pieces and then tosses them up to the focus screen as the mirror goes up on its next trip.

Jon