lwg

I purchased a bulk loader and it arrived with film. I loaded and shot

10 frames and they were very thin at 50 to 400 speed. The writing on

the film says Eastman 10 and Safety Film. I tried another 10 frames

and bracketed around 12 and it looks like 6 or maybe 3 will work for

the speed. The base fog is very high, around .7, so I assume this

film is old. Does anyone have any idea what this film is? How old is

it? Etc?

Eastman means it's movie stock. I bet the perforation holes are a bit small, and round on the short side rather than square.

I don't know how to translate that number to a full 4-digit number. I just developed some rem-jet backed Eastman color negative (freebie in batch of film on eBay) in HC110 just to read the edge-markings, and it's marked "EASTMAN 26". I looked around seeing if it was 5226, since most 35mm camera films start with "52", but that doesn't appear to be a valid number in any online histories, etc. So the mapping from these numbers must be more complicated.

Are the numbers every foot on the other edge that count up? Another sign of movie stock.

If it is so slow, maybe it's interpositive film, or something not meant for camera use.

I had a similar mystery with some negatives my father exposed during the mid to late 1960's except they were labeled Eastman 25. I even emailed Kodak and they didn't know. If the base fog is high and the effective speed is low, then the film must be old. If your film comes from a similar time as mine, then high base fog would be likely.

• 7 years later...