Cheap C41 Film Alert (US)

I was in my local Kroger supermarket (US) this past Tuesday and the

the store brand 35mm C41 film was being sold for $1.00 per roll for

200 & 400 ASA speeds. This is repackaged Ferrania that I have not been

really happy with in the past (grainy, sometimes see a color shift)

but is good enough for general camera testing or snapshooting.

No Krogers up here in Vermont, unfortunately. A lot of dollar stores also have the Ferrania 200 or some variety of Agfa 200. The Agfa batch I got was bad, probably stored hot. I've had pretty good luck with the Ferrania in terms of sharpness, but the colors were oddly saturated and blocky. It makes everything look a little like plastic toys.

Hey Guys give it a try I also found this deal and got 10 rolls of the 400. The 200 is a bad film but I think they have improved the 400 not as grainy as it was a year ago. Ferrania makes an 800 speed C-41 that is great with deep saturated color. as for the Kodak 12 exp trial rolls I got a few of those but the reds seem to block up.

Larry

Last weekend I was in Upstate NY for a visit to the Baseball Hall Of Fame in Cooperstown. The area is full of dollar stores. I bought two 24 exp. rolls of Konica-Minolta 200 speed print film and both were fine. The rolls were in date. I had six roll of film processed in an Eckerd drug store. The minilab operator did an excellent job on all six rolls and on some extra reprints. I also shot a 36 exp. roll of Konica Centuria Super 100 which cost fifty cents and a 36 exp. roll of Kodak GA which cost ninety-nine cents. These were from the bargain bins at Unique Photo in Florham Park, NJ. As I left Upstate NY I bought two 24 exp. 4-packs of Eckerd's house brand 200 speed print film. It was short dated but at 8 rolls for $3.49 I couldn't complain. This is Fuji film. I shot a test roll yesterday and it's fine.

I have had good experience in the past with the 100 and 200 speed off-brand films made by Konica and Fuji. The off-brand 400 films made by the same companies can be good too but I rate it at 320 just to be safe. I still have 22 36 exp. rolls of the Konica 100 speed print film in my freezer.

Here in Arizona, USA, we have Frys supermarket which must be related to Kroger since its store brand is Kroger and so is the film. A few weeks ago they were selling close dated 4-roll packs of Kroger film for $1.99. Thats 50 cents a roll. There are many stores that sell cheap film. Greenbacks sells Solaris at $1/roll. 99 cents store sells Lucky or Ultimate at 99 cents/roll. I've also seen a film called Samsung at ome one dollar stores. Minolta/Konica film is also $1/roll. I have found all this film to be perfectly good and the prints indistinguishable from regular Kodak film (now made in China too!).