Leica's future in a digital world

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pix Trevor - and nice there's still a couple people here who take photography seriously -

both on the capture and post-capture side. A shame the forum has sunk so low that the

fuzzy, low-contrast 15mm self-portrait stuff has now become the forum's standard

benchmark of quality.

www.citysnaps.net

Inside my head is a Wooly Mammoth , and a wide eyed little kid. In my gear closet lies

highly used Pliocene era cameras, and some fresh George Jettson "image" machines.

Some nights, I've listen closely at that closed closet door, and they never argue with one

another... they just squeal with delight when I choose one of them to go make photos. As

we leave, all the others, regardless age or country of origin, wish us luck on our adventure.

Well, gotta go. Have a wedding to shoot today and tomorrow ... so I need to feed the M

and Hasselblad oldtimers ... and reformat the CFs and SDs for the Canon and Leica DMR.

Have to treat all the workers equally and maintain the harmony in the gear closet.<div>00D3C5-24922884.jpg.6abd3795b55d4eff677bffd3f60bfb49.jpg</div>

Aren't all photos viewed onscreen digital? ....

Main question for me is quality. For example, can the Leica Digiluix 2 produce a hi-res

magazine quality print at A4 or larger? Others will have different requirements.

The thing is that the Leica M is a mature camera (has been since 1954!) and as such is

perfect. Digital technology is evolving. New Leica digitals need somehow to preserve the

merits of the classic camera while adding modern convenience in a product that lasts

longer than a few months before it is obsolescent.

Well, I didn't really want too. Mainly because I've never held/used an R9...and was hoping someone ese would have...but how the hell did you trip the shutter for that shot, Marc? Is there a shutter release near the dp preview button?

"I have never, never, seen a really good digital picture either on this forum or elsewhere that compares with a film image."

When I posted some of my black and white landscape work on this forum some time back, a forum member wrote to me to congratulate me on my use of film and wanted technical details. I had to tell him that the pictures were shot with the Olpympus C8080.

This argument really is futile, but if you haven't seen good digital images, then maybe it's not the medium, but the people using it, who are not delivering the goods.