Nikon D-200 or Canon EOS 30D

jack_a

As a wedding photographer who uses Mamiya and Nikon manual film

cameras, I am considering entering the 21st century and trading my

Nikon FM-2 (35mm cameras) for digital cameras. I typically mount my

camera on a stroboframe bracket and use the Metz 60 CT-4 strobe;

here is my two part question: 1) Nikon D-200 or Canon 30D and why?

2) Has anyone used the Metz 76 MZ-5 (or 45 cl 4) with the Nikon D-

200 and/or the Canon 30D? Never using a digital camera, and knowing

nothing about digital photography, if I decide to go with the Nikon

D-200 is the Nikon sb-800 the best flash unit or will the Metz 76 MZ-

5 do a better job correctly lighting the entire church altar, large

family groups, bouqet/garter tosses, etc. under difficult lighting

situations (obviously the same question applies if I select to use

Canon equipment)? After experiencing such great results using the

Metz 60 CT-4 I hate to switch...Any suggestions or comments would be

greatly appriciated.

hi jack, can't give you too much on the nikon end but i was in the same boat a few weeks back.i shoot a few weddings myself but i work more with available light,if fact most of my work is based in low light.so i went with the 30d,experiments in the camera shop with both and their ability to focus in low light canon won hands down.so far so good with the 30d.one thing that i can say about the nikon is 'man that camera feels good'.one last note if you do go canon you'll need to get the grip.the camera is harder to handle without it and you also need the extra power for weddings

"Nikon D-200 or Canon 30D and why?"

1. You already own Nikon equipment- presumably less stuff to replace than if you went over to Canon.

2. I sell both cameras and, IMHO, the D200 has a little more bang for the money, even considering that the D200 retails for $300 more than the 30D- i.e. more resolution and a better viewfinder. Subjectively, I like the fit and finish of the D200 better than the 30D.

"(I)f I decide to go with the Nikon D-200 is the Nikon sb-800 the best flash unit or will the Metz 76 MZ- 5 do a better job correctly lighting the entire church altar(.)"

If you are going to depend on shoe- or handle-mount flashes for large formal shots, the Metz 76 MZ-5 has a guide number- for the sake of direct comparison- of 249' at 105mm as opposed to the SB-800, which has a guide number of 184' at 105mm.

You got a lot of very excellent advice up there. The 30D is slightly less noisy than the D200 at ISO's above 400.

Both are extremely capable camera and my guess, based on your prior Nikon experience, is to not switch boats in midstream unless you need a full frame sensor (then you need the Canon 5D).

Just remember -- the Nikon is a 1.5 crop sensor so you will need to rethink how you shoot wide angles. Your 20mm lens on your film camera "becomes" a 30mm lens (field of view) on a 1.5 sensor Nikon (the Canon 10D, 20D, and 30D bodies use a 1.6 crop factor sensor).

Since you shoot weddings, and use a lot of flash, I would recommend Nikon. I am a long time Canon user, but Nikon's flash exposure is WAY ahead of Canon. Due to copyrights, Canon won't be catching up any time soon either. Your manual Nikon lenses will work on the D200, which is a plus. Also, because of the 1.5x crop factor, you will probably need the 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor. The 28mm f/1.4 aspherical would be great for the low light situations, if you can afford it (you probably won't want to go above ISO 800 on the D200, the noise is fairly high compared to Canon's 30D). The Metz 76 MZ-5 is definitely a better flash than the SB-800 for what you're talking about. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't give up my D200 for anything, but I'm sure the Canon is a great camera too. If you don't have either system, I would go rent both of these bodies and some lenses and try them out. I would see which lens systems you like best, and evaluate the TTL flash system. The results should tell you which system you'll want to invest your money into over the long term.

The SB-800 is a great flash. I've also heard Metz has a TTL unit coming out for the D200. I like the Metz and Nikon flashes, but you'll find some great advantages with the brilliantly designed SB800 system, like being able to set up your lighting in a church or reception and get the background perfectly lit while controlling it off the camera body's master SB800.

the only reason i would reccomend the canon is for high iso ambient shooting. be nice to have both, nikon for flash ttl and canon for 3200 available light. the nikons are way ahead of canon for ttl flash, the sb-800 on remote with the d200 is nothing but easy reliable and creative possibilities. you really wont believe how easy and versatile it is.