a popup window with an image preview shows up in photoshop. It has a

few checked "auto" options. I have no idea if by leaving the auto

options checked I would be open the file exactly how I took it with

the camera. It is hard to tell. Also, I am struggling with my monitor

calibration (LCD). Is there an utility other than adobe gamma that

would do a better work (easier)? Any tips, tools for CS2 and Nikon

interaction?

Thanks for your advice.

For the best explanation of RAW workflow with PS CS2 check out "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2" by Bruce Fraser.

As for monitor calibration, Adobe Gamma is no match for doing it with a colorimeter and appropriate software. This will enable you to create profiles for your monitor, scanner and printer and have consistant color. I use a Monaco Optix. Google "monitor calibration".

<I>I have no idea if by leaving the auto options checked I would be open the file exactly

how I took it with the camera. It is hard to tell.</I><P>The default in ACR 3.xis to usethe

auto

boxes checked. You can change the default settings by simply unchecking all ofthe auto

boxes, clicking once on the little arrow to the right of Settings >Image Settings and

selecting "Save New Camera Raw Defaults" from that menu.<P>

I also recommend the Monaco OPTIXxr colorimeter -- but it just accurately profiles and

calibrates

your monitor. <P>

Profiling the camera is useful if you always shoot under the exact same conditions. <P>

Short of spending a few thousand dollars on equipment and the time to learn how to do it,

my suggestion is that you first try the "canned" profiles for printer+paper+ink

combination if you are using paper and ink from the same company that makes you

printer. If that doesn't make you happy or if you change either ink or paper to a non OEM

supplier, you'll want to have a custom profile made. My recommendation for this is Ethan

Hansen at http://www.drycreekphoto.com<P>

A really fine learning resource is "Real World Color Management" second edition and of

course "Real World Adobe Camera Raw for Photoshop CS2" <P>

You might also want to consider purchasing the 55 page CS2 Workflow PDF from

http://www.D-65.com

"I have Nikon Capture but I rather use the pro stuff" I think Capture is pro stuff. The problem with it, especially with D2X files is it's slow. But personally I think the processing of RAW files is much better, plus they come out at 300ppi instead of the 240 that ACR wants to convert my pics to. Once you tweak the exposure in Capture, you can save as JPEG and then open in PS to do all that other "pro stuff." And absolutely calibrate with a colorimeter.

check out Russell Browns Website at: http://russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Adobe Bridge work flow, and camera Raw

As for a LCD monitor there is not a good free way to calibrate it. It's kind of like using the cheat sheets that came with your film to get the right exposure, or when you went with the sunny 16 rule. you need to get a calibration meter so that you can create a profile. I have the Eye-One Display 2 here is a link to their web site: http://usa.gretagmacbethstore.com/index.cfm/act/Catalog.cfm/catalogid/1861/Subcategory/Eye%2DOne%20Solutions/category/Eye%2DOne/browse/null/MenuGroup/Menu%20USA%20New/desc/Eye%2DOne%20Display%202.htm