request for advice: Epson 1280 with MIS UT2 B&W inkset

Hi everyone.

I've just set up an Epson 1280 with the UT2 B&W inkset. I read a recommendation

somewhere to proof on Epson Enhanced Matte and make final prints on Hahnemuhle

Photo Rag. So I picked up a package of each.

I've made a few prints on EEM, and they look OK, but they don't blow me away. It's hard to

say what is missing. I'm printing from Photoshop using the Roark workflow. I did get

borderless printing working, which is nice.

I'm going to try the Hahnemuhle papers and see if I like the results better. I am also

considering trying the Quadtone RIP. Any other suggestions?

Ben, could you be more specific as to why the prints don't 'blow you away'? I'm using the same setup for B&W and print exclusively on Epson Enhanced Matte paper. The only thing I've noticed is a tendency toward lower contrast, but it's easy enough to correct in your imaging application.

Steve

I've found the printed paper will never have the punch of what you see on the screen. The print is reflected light. It just like a color slide always looking better than any print.

I find that EEM and HPR look very similar. So much so that it's hard to justify the HPR price except for archivalness.

I used to print with the UT2 inkset. In fact I've used almost all the MIS b&w inksets. I made really good prints with all of them but always come back to prefering Eboni Black Only. But that's a personal choice and others make a different one.

But, I think the key to great looking b&w prints is what you do in Photoshop. Setting the endpoints in the levels layer is pretty standard. But the shape of the contrast curve is the key. I find that it almost always has to be S shaped for my taste. The contrast curve needs to be tweaked to just have that right amount of punch you need in the shadows, in the highlights, and in the midtones.

Paul: every image requires a different curve. Think of it as the equivalent of the masters of olden days dodging and burning sections of each individual print. But for us it's much easier to look at the end result on the screen while we tweak the curves. But do work with an S shaped curve that addresses the needs of the shadows and highlights individualy and separate from the midtones. Some prints just seem to work with an overall curve adjustment while others need that special work on either end of the curve (or sometimes both) to really come alive and match the vision of the photographer. To me this is what makes digital b&w printing so rewarding.

Thanks, Allan. For some reason, I was under the opposite impression. I was planning to

pick up some semi-gloss papers today to check it out, though.

What's the difference between semi-gloss and pearl?

I have Eboni ink in the black position, so my choices of glossy paper are limited. But it

looks like there are some decent papers that are supported with this ink, so I'm not

worried about that. If I find that I'm really a glossy fan, maybe my next black cart will be

Photo Black.

I use the UT2 in my 1280 as well, just fyi, with the Eboni ink.

I use it quite a bit with Ilford Smooth Pearl, and the dmax is noticeably better. The prints really have some snap to them. But then they aren't archival so...

I actually don't know the difference between semi-gloss and pearl. I prefer Pearl to glossy since it doesn't have the high reflectance which can cause some issues with various viewing angles.

allan

I don't think there are _any_ non-matte archival papers, at all. If you go to the photo black, that ink, itself, is not archival (I think). The nice thing is that the Eboni ink works on some glossy papers by itself - no need to switch.

I think Hahnemule PR has the _highest_ dmax of any of the matte papers.

allan

... Oh crumb.

In a hurry today, I bought Ilford Classic Pearl paper instead of Smooth Pearl paper.

I wonder if I can make this work?

Here's another issue. The MIS web page says that for Ilford Smooth Pearl, I should use

'Media Type: "Photo Quality Glossy Film."'. But in the print dialog box, under "print

settings", that media type is grayed out! Any ideas?

I'm 99% certain that you cannot use pigment inks like the UT2 set on the Classic Pearl. Sorry. Can you return it?

Do you have the latest 1280 driver from Epson? They updated it maybe 4 months ago. I will look up how I have it set up at home. Perhaps you have to set it to custom?

allan

I'm using whichever driver version came on CD with the printer. I'll go online and see if I

can find a newer one. Thanks.

I don't think I can return the paper, since I opened it already. No big deal. I'm having

work done on my apartment, so I laugh scornfully at the waste of a mere $14. Well, not

really.