Lens cap for Canon circ pol

david_french3

For reasons I won't go into, I bought a Canon-brand circular polarising filter for my 24-70

and 70-200 lenses. These are 77mm filter size. Canon have cunningly designed the filter

so that lens caps won't fit on it - the end section is not threaded, in fact it tapers. If

applied, the lens cap just pings off. Of course, the nature of polarisers is that you don't

really want to take them off and put them on again each time you put the camera in the

bag - well I don't, anyway.

A possible solution would be a lens cap designed to fit over the top of the whole filter -

something like a Petri dish-shaped lens cap. Does anybody have any idea where to get

one, preferably in the UK, at short notice? I've cast around but to no avail.

Alternative serious solutions also welcome. "Get a different circ pol" is too predictable.

Thanks, David.

I got the same problem with the Hoya super quality slim CPL. The cap that comes with the filter is very loose. I found a 3rd party push on lens cap that has tighter fit, but it last only 6 months before becoming too loose.

I decided I no longer can bear with the push on lens cap, and finally got a Nikon slim CPL that takes a normal clip-on lens cap.

Your filter is probably the "thin" version (for wide angles)? I have a HOYA which is designed the same way and in fact, it came with its own slip-on cap. Caps such as those are available from generic vendors and should be your best bet.

I have two separate 77mm circular polarizers -- one I use on the 16-35 of course (low profile) will not accept the lens cap; however the other one is for non-wide angle, the 24-70 and 70-200, works fine with lens caps. (Tiffen brand). You simply have the wrong filter David.

I use a regular polarizer on my 17-40/4L with no vignetting so even a wider lens will not necessarily necessitate a thin filter. Since they are more expensive I would try a regular filter before springing for a slim one.