FRAUD LOOKOUT

I've never had a paypal account. Beware of these dirtbags!

email that arrived today-

Dear valued PayPal? member:

PayPal? is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its

community of

buyers and sellers. To protect the security of your account, PayPal

employs

some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-

fraud

teams regularly screen the PayPal system for unusual activity.

Recently, our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in

your

account. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement and to ensure

that your

account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited.

Your

account access will remain limited until this issue has been

resolved. This

is a fraud prevention measure meant to ensure that your account is

not

compromised.

In order to secure your account and quickly restore full access, we

may

require some specific information from you for the following reason:

We would like to ensure that your account was not accessed by an

unauthorized third party. Because protecting the security of your

account

is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal

account

features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please

understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

Case ID Number: PP-833-714-621

We encourage you to log in and restore full access as soon as

possible.

Should access to your account remain limited for an extended period

of

time, it may result in further limitations on the use of your

account.

However, failure to restore your records will result in account

suspension.

Please update your records on or before July 02, 2005.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal session will

not be

interrupted and will continue as normal.

To verify and/or update your account records click on the following

link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand

that

this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your

account. We

apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

PayPal? Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP2306

Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any

questions.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_privacy-

outside

Miles,

These don't originate with Paypal. Those of us who receive lots of e-mail are familiar with these scam e-mails from a variety of sources that look like they're from real sites such as e-maby, banks, etc.

Unless you're familiar with the sender you should ignore and delete such messages without opening them.

Miles , I recieved 3 of these emails in the past week, and they are getting more official looking. When they give you a link to click on that says www.ebay.fraud/security or something like that put your cursor on the link for a second.I have found that a whole other email address will come up as to the place where you are really being sent.This address is usally in another country. Ebay or Paypal will never ask you for this kind of information in a email.Paypal asks that you forward the email without opening any attachments to spoof@paypal.com and they will try and get the people shut down.

<p>In HTML mail, clickable text that purports to be a link to one place may be a link to somewhere entirely different. If you think about it, you are well aware of this fact, since if I write:

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net">Click here for Photo.net</a>

<p>...you are not surprised that clicking takes you to Photo.net. But I can make the text of the link anything! This link is, presumably, more surprising:

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net">https://secure.ebay.com/accountVerify</a>

<p>Try the second link...

Scams are as old as mankind. Scams with Faxes and mail are many decades old. With Ebay and Paypal; they are as old as ebay and Paypal. Here I have received many THOUSANDS of them. They are just all junk; spam. There is a things called spam and junk mail that are old too. Each year a few folks get lured in to scams; just like the Nigerian princes that want died; and their heirs want to split some cash with you. The story goes back about 3 or 4 decades. Other common lures are fake Police and Fire folks asking for donations; folks who panhandle and one day are ex Navy; next day ex marine; the next week ex korean war; except they were born in the 1950s; after the korean war. Other scams are some folks claim to save the planet with saving the XXX; and fleece old folks for cash; and none goes towards any good; but flash cars. Some retirement planners have been caught as cons; bilking their clients funds. When I was in college; they changed the math and engineering books every year it seemed; they books store would buy them back for about nothing; and then ship them to another school. they made more on used books; than new ones; and paid the professors under the table to change books. The fake charities that call; the 3 or 4 megabytes of spam each day gets old. Here I get about 10 fake Ebay or Paypals a day; the ebay ones were very active when Clinton was in office even.

I got the exact same phishing scam several months ago.

Do not ever follow the direct links in an e-mail concerning a bank or credit card company. Shut the e-mail down and close your e-mail program. Many of the major banks and credit card companies have had the exact same problem. If using the internet, start a new session and look up the company (www.paypal.com) on Google or Yahoo.

In general, legitimate financial institutions do not solicit accout information by e-mail.

The real PayPal website has a link for reporting scammers.

<p>Stuart asks:

<p><i>If Miles had clicked on the https address and it had taken him to a https site would that be a guarantee of security (just asking)</i>

<p>If you end up at an https:// site, you can be assured that your interactions <i>with that site</i> are confidential, but not that you wound up at the site you thought you were going to!

<p>In other words, if I'm determined to phish for PayPal account information, I may set up an HTTPS server and direct you to it, and ask you to enter your PayPal account information. Your interaction with my scam server is encrypted and reliably private. But that doesn't mean it would be a good idea to enter your PayPal account information!

<p>Before entering any account information, you should examine the URL displayed at the top of your browser to make sure you are at the site you are expecting to be at. If you believe you are visiting EBay but the URL doesn't mention EBay anywhere, you have a problem.

This is funny! Actually I have NEVER used paypal and don't buy stuff off the auction sites, not worth the potential trouble as far as i'm concerned.

I just didn't want one of the uninformed friends at photo.net to get suckered in as I think all the photo.net folks are extended 'family'.

When is someone going to come out with a device to send about 50,000 volts back to these senders computers... one can always dream...

Have a good evening y'all!

The best is to ignore it by deleting.

You could Right Mouse Click on the suspicious link, and a drop down dialog menu will open. Select Property menu from the bottom of the list, and a dialog will open showing you a real link. However, you may never know what a real link might be or what is bogus, so the best is to just delete it.

These "phishing" expeditions are not new, but my sense is that they are becoming more frequent--or maybe I've just been spending too much time on eBay looking for a lens hood or an old TLR or something else. You don't have to spend a fortune on such sites to get on somebody's mailing list.

In any case, obvious as they may be, they catch plenty of unsuspecting souls unawares.

These SPOOFS emails are very common.

However, the text or the sender field don't tell you who the *real* originator is. To see the originating server, etc... you must (if using OUTLOOK) select the offending message, righ-click on it and click on OPTIONS. This will give you are TEXT list of all the *HEADERS*. This information is useful for Server administrators to track the senders. COPY that info and forward it, along with the orignal message, to the REAL website. In this case PayPal. They want to know about these a it helps fighting the continous stream of SPOOFS.

The most common are PayPal, Ebay, verious Banks and Credi Cards.

Of course, had Congress killed the spam act this would be a LOT easier to defeat. Whereas now, with everyone spamming, it's a lot more difficult.