Polaroid 110b to 4x5 graflok conversion-any instructions available?

What's with this "Do not interfere further" thing, anyway? So it's OK for you to post soliloquies running into hundreds of lines of unpunctuated jibberish whenever you want, but woe unto any who dare to "interfere" by calling you to task for it? So you're a big-shot who can swagger around forum threads, trashing any you don't like by bombarding them with white noise, occasionally concocting wildly exaggerated stories along the way, while us minions are supposed to quiver in our boots looking up to you with bottomless respect? Narcissism and megalomania in their purest form.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What people can finally see is that it is no fantasy that because Someone who vowed to cause interference as you offered throughout the process then confirms that when he can verify that such actions have had the intended effect on the place where they could cause the most harm you ratify that to be " the most delightful thing", and that is why I have had to endure these situations .

Sales will be up or down but there is something more important than sales and that is that because people can read the admittances of intention to interfere and actively cause harm to my reputation and that of my product I will not have to take medicines and in the presence of all these willful admissions those who come from good homes will understand. That is what one can hope for , many have already said that is the case and as a result I have earned the respect of such people who have seen that I have had to defend that which has been deliberately tampered with .

What a lot of complete and utter dribble. I`ll add this thread to the reams of other meaningless nonsensical scriblings I`ve accumulated going back several years. Paul, I`d suggest you could try this route: Get onto Ebay and locate a nice Four Designs converted Polaroid 110B, (I have one and they are great). Again look on ebay and find a Graflok back, these sell for around $100 or so, better still find a Toyo-View 4x5 back as these are more compact if a little more expensive. Get along to a machine shop (or do it yourself) and attach the Graflok/Toyo back to the packfilm holder`s rear door after cutting a suitable sized hole in it.

Next step is to reposition the front standard. This can be acheived by drilling out the small rivets and removal of two screws that secure the chrome plated anchor that is attached to the sliding bed. This is the bit that the standard locks into. Next, set the camera to infinity, (focus all the way back) and observe the image (camera on a tripod with the shutter locked on B, using a cable release) with a loupe. Make sure the standard is locked into position and slide the whole thing fore and aft until the focus is sharp. If you`re lucky enough the Four Designs rangefinder will be spot on when focus is racked all the way back, but check that the split image and the focus on the ground glass are in unison. Just make sure make the front standard stands exactly parallel to the rear standard or film plane before commencing. This will more often than not be OK, but can be adjusted by slight bending of the angled arms that support the lensboard.

I use a steel ruler on the lens rim and use some form of register on a wall surface to line things up. When you`re confident all is well, scribe a fine line directly in front of where the chrome plate sits then (carefully) drill two holes into the sliding bed. From here you can secure the plate either by very short screws or a couple of rivets. The rivet route involves removal and refitting of the sliding bed and is quite fiddly, (careful not to loose the four little plastic bearing plates the bed runs on). Try to make sure the plate stays exactly at rightangles to the bed or you`ll be out of focus one side of the frame. With regard to the finder, I`d leave it alone, as I find it`s more than capable of handling the 4x5 frame. It may crop a little, but then so do most 35mm SLR`s and digital cameras even more so.

Parallax shouldn`t be an issue either as the 4x5 frame is only slightly larger than the original 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 frame of the original format. Any discrepancy can soon be figured out, as most people`s brains are capable of learning a bit of compensation and how often do you shoot very close in?

The beauty of using a Four Designs converted camera is that the finder will have been cleaned and adjusted, the shutter will have been serviced, the lens will be clean, and most of the machining and removal of uneccessary material has been done. When you think about it, just about everything has been done except for the fitting of the 4x5 back. Not sure if you`ll need their permission to carry out this operation, but I`d be surprised if it violates any patent laws! I know there`s no law preventing me modifying my Linhof. You may need to secure the packfilm holder`s door afterwards, but that`s not too difficult.

This is just ONE way of making your dream camera, there are many more alternatives. The Polaroid can even be converted to 6x12, using 120 rollfilm!

Good luck, I hope this makes more sense than some of the jibberish that`s been already written. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Mr. Jones just admitted that the best way to convert a 110b is what is covered in my patents and he has come to this conclusion after obtaining one of my products, not before.

Because otherwise if it were his IP and he thought it was the best way he would have implemented it himself and a long time ago.

If he thought IP was for intellects and his thoughts tell him that my way is the best way then he had no right to defiance in the first place.

He has entirely justified my Position and nullified his .

I apologize that you had to endure all this but It wont be for much longer.

By the way that adapter in different configurations will allow to shoot portraits in 4x5 with a Fuji 680 and any camera that doesn't use a fiber optics inside the Polaroid back. including the 600se and graflex xl and so forth.

Conversion per se will remain as stated, less practical than a 100.00 speed Graphic but lighter but if people want to buy it they may but wont get a Littman 45 because it is converted to 4x5 "the best way" and that is the end of this. "the best way "to convert as per Mr. Jones admission doesn't yield a Littman 45 and that was the whole discrepancy which we answered way before any thread proving them unnecessary, instigated by malice and resentment.

How dare you keep alleging these stupid nonsense?

I do not utilize their conversion as I statedhere in 2003 I was making my own pack film conversion for a couple of years and then proceeded to make a 4x5 camera, Amongst many other improvements I have introduced an improvement to the pack film conversion. Which by the way I stated here in September of 2003. you knew that and so state in my patents clearly.

I spoke to such company extensively to offer the production of my product at some point, and corroborated there was no patent on the pack film conversion, when Polaroid spoke to that company they also volunteered that such company stated there was no prior art to be concerted with .

So did mutual clients since then.

My configuration has measures which are entirely different otherwise a pack film conversion is a staple of commerce but the patented modifications aren't.

So no I do not Use the 4 Designs pack film conversion I decided to implement one of the routes I have patented and is clearly different and what you utilize is constant misrepresentations to aggrandize yourself at my expense.

If I make an adapter for that company's conversion it will be different because the present one would not work on that conversion.And as it was an expenditure and my clients and everyone insisted a 100.00 Speed grafic was more valuable to them than a mere conversion I didn't wish to pursue having to say otherwise to justify an expenditure I couldn't believe in, you have created a myth at my expense. so I will not utilize their conversion but offer an improvement to it if people wish to buy it. I would rather not but you keep confusing the market with your greediness and distracting us from our work.

I admit this is a new low even for you in daring to allege wrongdoing to what is clearly documented otherwise as to cause harm and discredit.

The pack film has a predetermined shape calling for a specific shape otherwise my implementation is different.

You just deliberately provided instruction and told the public to infringe on my adapter. , people can read I have disclosed the use of the components in my patents , that it is a legitimate patantable improvement to an existing product and that you knew about it and that we even discussed it here in PN many times. I agree that nothing further needs to be said

you have caused enough damage already .

I have utilized a pack film cartridge as a spacer, have not yet introduced the adapter for the pack film conversion these are 2 separate things both are patented disclosed here and you have admitted to be aware of these facts for years, one is an utilization of a spacer in permanent structure and the second which has not yet been introduced a removable adapter which allows the 4 designs conversion to remain 3x4 pack film and also be 4x5 when you change the removable back and has 2 infinity positions permanently installed and then yesterday you have admitted that in your opinion the best way to get to Rome would be to utilize a 4 designs conversion and then adapt it further. Well I own such alternative as well but it is not the route implemented in my product, I haven't implemented it yet nor was it your right to force me to.

You said such alternative would be the best way, I reminded you that I have a patent on it and I would have preffered to have the choice to introduce it under a different circumstance or not at all.

Being that it was clearly my IP

let me just remind you that what you admit would be the best way has been labeled as a self destructing time bomb by those you have invited to cause harm/ "plastic camera" etc.

please go away!

Hi Mr, McEvoy. The first Polaroid 110 camera I saw 'converted' to 4x5 was brought in to

Marty Forscher's when I worked there about 25 years ago. It was done with a sheet of 3/4

inch plywood and a lot of 'black goo'. Much cruder than anything pictured here. The main

problem with retarding the film plane on one of these cameras is that when you retard the

infinity stop as well, the front standard strut of the camera will strike the infinity stop as

you close the camera front door. What I do to alleviate this is to carefully machine a notch

into each end of the bar at the bottom of the strut so that it will clear the infinity stop as

you close the camera, as well as engage the infinity stop when you pull out the front

standard. You can use a Dremel or a file to do this without disassembling the camera if

you're careful, and then rotate the bar with a pliers until it's in the proper position. There

are many subtleties to the way the front standard works on these cameras, as well as the

way they are adjusted and how they wear or get bent over time. ( Fortunately, I was

trained by the best! ) I'm planning on posting as complete a set of photos and instructions

of how I do this on my photo.net page soon. Good Luck, and don't let the bedbugs bite!

The email communication posted by me from the client who traded a camera he bought on an auction site for a Littman is in refference to a camera made by Mr Schwartz.

His Initials are C.L.D.M. so the seller of this camera can verify it is a camera made by Schwartz

I also received an email from the seller who stated had three of these cameras decided to sell two and keep one , the 2 he decided to sell were made by Mr Scwartz so from the person who received them fresh to the person who then bought it and compared it to his Littman and finally It was examined in the presence of a pahotogarpher who has been using a Littman for years and later took the camera to get an opinion of both an owner and someone who had used one with the original lens so the lens quality difference would not be an issue.

In the end the seller who had Schwartz cameras for years preffered one Made by Mr Jones and Mr Jones has stated that the best way is my way and Mr petronio states that he preffers a 100.00 Speed Grafic to a Jones conversion then you can do the math. I will let the people who have experienced the camera be the ones to judge.if the camera Posted by Schwartz is one of the earliest made as can be seen by the fading in the decal

Mr Scwartz insists I have no idea of what I am doing and that my cameras are self destructing time bombs and that the only reason people think they are better is because they are so expensive but despite the price my clients who have tested both have stated their opinions and i believe them , schwartz said my cameras could not be better and I have read my clients comments, the comments from the person who had it for years and then the photographer who compared it to a 127 Littman will post replies to the comments made by schwartz who insists my camera can not be better .

Sorry Photographer; one who uses camera to take pictures with

Actually here is a picture I took with My first Littman 4 years ago for Paula Magazine shot almost wide open ,hand held utilizing the full neg and while mobile , unfortunately instead of taking pictures with the camera I worked hard to create I have to endure this leverage by people who want cameras to be judged by the way they look.

To view the picture full size place your mouse on the lower right hand corner on the image and click on the expand button<div>00DLaJ-25345784.thumb.JPG.2d7cbb228b36333f21b752243a8fe5ce.JPG</div>

Well clearly, the answer to your original question, Mr. McEvoy, any ignoramus 'with a

hacksaw and some files' could do it, and some even with only a shovel could. The next

thing to be concerned with in retarding the film plane to use a larger format is to make

sure that you've retarded the film plane enough so that there is no internal cut-off of the

image projected on the film. The easiest way to do that, if you use a back with a

removeable focus panel, like a Graflok back, is to remove the focus panel and focus the

camera as close, ( move the lens as far forward as it can go ), as it can and make sure you

can see the entire rear element of the lens in all four corners. If you have a spring back,

where the focus panel cannot be removed easily, 'cut corner' ground glass will afford a

view of the rear element. Absent that, you'll have to remove the ground glass to check

that the entire rear element can be seen over the entire surface of the film. If you can't see

the ENTIRE rear element in the corners, there will be a fall off of brightness in the corners

of your images. Most pahotogarphers would find this objectionable. That's why you have

to be careful if you want to mount a longer focal length lens than the 127mm lenses that

these cameras come with originally. You would have to retard the film plane even more

the longer the lens you use.

One of the subjects which has interested Pn Members a lot is how and what establishes the value of products so as we have all interested parties present here is how the camera which we acquired sold on Ebay by Mr. Schwartz to get the story from the very start.

Mr. Jones as he has many times drove up the price thru shill bidding to twice the value and Mr. Schwartz reciprocated in numerous occasions.

I understand why it is absolutely impossible for them to accept that a product may have a legitimate price but I have clear evidence that the value of theirs is as a result of these connivances in sales and the connivances in PN A) these people had no right to question my ebay ethics when they do this to their own clients to then turn around and come here to trash the value of my product and my reputation to raise the value of theirs even more .

the top bidder is the person who emailed to say that the two cameras he was selling were made by Schwartz.

Then when you are done laughing then go back and read their comments substantiating the value of their own products by these ambushing connivances we have to put up with in PN threads.

farhan7(9) $760.00 Apr-26-03 09:33:24 PDT

brema1973(0) $750.00 May-01-03 10:11:40 PDT

brema1973(0) $700.00 May-01-03 10:11:31 PDT

brema1973(0) $600.00 May-01-03 10:11:20 PDT

ocarlo(12) $500.00 Apr-23-03 19:16:22 PDT

farhan7(9) $500.00 Apr-26-03 09:32:26 PDT

ocarlo(12) $300.00 Apr-22-03 08:56:59 PDT

razzledog(298) $300.00 Apr-24-03 02:09:00 PDT

razzledog(298) $252.00 Apr-23-03 02:13:48 PDT

razzledog(298) $199.00 Apr-22-03 14:48:03 PDT

razzledog(298) $189.00 Apr-22-03 14:47:32 PDT

razzledog(298) $149.00 Apr-22-03 14:46:55 PDT

razzledog(298) $101.00 Apr-22-03 03:04:51 PDT

teslaphile(14) $52.00 Apr-21-03 19:34:31 PDT

artmar1(434) $50.00 Apr-21-03 18:31:15 PDT

teslaphile(14) $39.87 Apr-21-03 19:34:18 PDT .

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/Fetterman_indict.htm

http://www.news.iwantcollectibles.com/bidding-ebay-shill.shtml

I have been invited to write an article for a large European magazine that will discuss all aspects of Polaroid conversions and associated interests. Hopefully it should make for interesting reading. The magazine apparently has a large audience. I have also joined a new Ebay group entitled 'Camera making and using' where similar ideas will be published. Hopefully Paul, you will have more than enough info to build your 110B 4x5, as it seems we are in for a 'Polaroid Tsunami'<div>00DLft-25348684.jpg.406fc8297046b55759959052eee00976.jpg</div>

Noah - If you have evidence that you were doing this 25 years ago, then you should submit it to the patent office as "Prior Art." That would be enough to invalidate most of the patent claims. If Mr. Littman has a unique way to convert the camera, then he should be able to patent it. If, however, people have been converting these cameras for years, then it's silly and unfair to claim a patent on the idea of converting the cameras to 4X5.

If Dean and others have a commercial interest in developing the same idea, then they should invest their own time and money to uncover the materials necessary to invalidate the patent. Mr Littman spent the time and money to go after the patent; if Dean and others want to invalidate it, they should do the same. If they are not willing to do that, then there isn't much reason to carry on whining about it.

For everyone else, there is more than enough information floating around to convert a single camera. I don't think that Mr. Littman's business plan depends on the amateur DIY market.

For Mr. Littman -

I have a Four Designs 110A, so I'm interested in an adapter back that would work on top of a Four Designs back. Does the back destroy the original back, or can you continue to use the 3X4 pack film?

it is absolutely abysmall.. a simple question leads to all this endless pages of words that goes through my head. I have converted polaroid 110a into a 5x4. no viewfinder, no rangefinder but very small 5x4 camera. it works so well I photograph film stars with this camera!! Does that mean I should patent this and stop people making these cameras?? no... hell no.. I enjoy making cameras .. it is my hobby. and there is no way in hell anyone is going to stop me. There is a new group as Dean mentioned on ebay called 'CAMERA MAKING & CONVERTING' .. if anyone wants to know how to make various cameras and conversions.. pls join..

regards

umit<div>00DLh2-25351184.thumb.jpg.b42609e26afc4fa908acef7b1cd5f7ef.jpg</div>

Heller, it`s not that I want to see any 'Patent' invalidated. My idea of converting the humble Polaroid to 4x5 in no way resembles Mr Littmans and never has. What I object to is the very idea that it could be illegal to perform, discuss, partake or consider a SIMILAR (as opposed to the SAME) conversion. The fact that Four Designs didn`t patent their method of converting Polars doesn`t mean that an Einstein can walk in and utilise, (whether in part or in full) the idea for themselves, take out a 'Patent' and call it their own.

I don`t have any plans to 'further my product' at anyones expense and only want to see as many interested people shooting large format as possible, I mean we all know the days of film are numbered.

Digital is creeping in on us all, at an alarming rate, so we should enjoy the pleasure of film while we can. If someone wants to convert a Polaroid or anything else, that`s great. If they don`t have access to a machine shop or can`t perform the neccessary operations themselves, then perhaps myself or others can.

What REALLY gets up my nose is a bully telling me what I can and can`t do......... guess I never liked bullies, even in school. I`d thwort them at every turn, perhaps even flatten one or two?. So there it is and if the Ogre (he actually named himself that folks) is upset, tough. That`s the way of the world. All the huffing and puffing in the world won`t stop development of an idea. Providing we don`t EXACTLY COPY the so called 'Patent' no more can be said, even though such threads can be a great source of entertainment for all.