ray .

Since I started using a dslr with 18-70 lens, I've found there's a

bit of an issue getting it into certain events, because it's

considered a "professional camera" under the rules of some

venues.

I thought of taking the lens off when entering and sticking it in a

bag, but bags get checked. Anyone have a trick to get around this

problem?

Yes, it is a constant problem for me too. SLR users are blatantly discriminated against. It's because we're decent upstanding folk, people can clearly see we're photographing, not sly cameraphone weasels who have to sneak their pictures, which are crap anyway since no-one who takes photography seriously enough to learn composition would waste their time with such stupid and unethical toys. You just have to call ahead and get press credentials, which is usually pretty easy, just say you're a "freelancer".

Actually, purses don't normally get searched through from top to bottom, do they? I guess the reason I'm thinking detaching the lens would be a solution is because I was actually told by a security person that I could take the camera in if I left the lens in my car. Each security person is a new case, of course.

There was a jazz picnic in the Rose Bowl; failed on that one. This weekend at the Arrowhead Pond was Ringling Bros....... only got the cam in by telling the checking person that "No, it doesn't zoom out any further."

The Arrowhead Pond website states they prohibit lenses longer than 6", which I think would technically not disqualify my cam. But again, it's up to the security person's understanding of the rule, and their temperament. Also, certain events can make their own requirements.

"...it's considered a "professional camera"..." WXPN (philly's best college station) just had a major 3 day concert, was gonna go, but they too prohibitted pro cams. I didn't even bother to go because I'd heard this same thing from some photogs I have met shooting on south street in philly of late.

However, outside of those concerts, this concept of a DSLR of any kind being a pro cam, has benefitted me in cases that even film slr's caused concern before. People seem to not bother me much anymore, I keep on over hearing people comment about me to their partners something like " no he works for someone"........and they give me wide berth. I'm serious, I really think it helps with street shooting with a DSLR

but on the concept of concerts, it probably is "putting the nail" in the last area shooting cancerts was possible, the open air ones..........the inside ones are totally off limits where I live with ANY cam.....and the better places (music wise) actually check purses and backpacks for even P&Ss......jeez....I understand the concerns of the artists and venues, but it sure sucks when all I wanna do is shoot (not sell)

Conversely, I've been in places where they shooed all the P&S shooters away because they weren't supposed to be there, but they ignored my SLR and big lens because they assumed I was with the press. Doesn't work for paid concerts well, but in a lot of places you just have to know how to look like you belong.

The irrational behavior of people is endlessly fascinating, yes?

Had the same problem with a D70 and its "standard" zoom lens at a motocross event. Apparently I did not exceed some unstated maximum lens extension length, as I was allowed to pass.

On the other hand, I was shooting with the Contax 645 and 140mm lens at an outdoor reggae concert, and a kid came running up to ask me if he could be on TV!! Cuts both ways I guess.

Shoot small clubs--they generally don't care, and it may help to have some work to show

when you're trying to get in to bigger shows. But any major music event, especially any at

a venue owned by House of Blues (and they own more than you'd think), and you'll need a

pass. If you're not affiliated with big-name media the headliner is probably a better target

for begging than venue management.

Baggy shorts and a body taped to your inner thigh will get P&Ss and rangefinder bodies in

pretty easy, but it's a little harder to find a place for the lens and/or a big SLR. I've found

that my Zorki body in my back pocket looks a lot like a wallet, leaving the prime inner

thigh real estate for a lens. Of course, this wouldn't work at a venue that wands.

Women have it easy--shove a P&S in tampon box, not one male guard in 1000 is going to

open it.