Theft.

harrisonp

Waited for a 50 'cron from Adorama. I got the box today...when I opened

it...there was no lens. Looked on the bottom of the box and the special tape had

been tampered with and the lens was stolen. I filed a claim with UPS...is there

something else I should have done? Will I be reimbursed?

You should have either not acceped the package or noted damage when you signed for it or taken it to the local distribution center before you opened it.

Always pay by credit card, not debit, and and ask it be insured for full value. If they fail to insure it and it gets lost and UPS will not pay a claim, go to the cc company and have them reverse charges to your card. You will need to write a letter. Companies are very responsive to this sort of thing as you did not get what you paid for-insurance. You do not have this right with debit cards.

What you experienced is not common and I hope it does not become pervasive. When Calumet ships, there is no identification on the label indication who the shipper is, but coded in. Problem still exists the person who picks up the packages knows where they originate.

Good luck pursuing the claim.

Try contacting your insurance company to see if you have any coverage in this situation. I once had a 500/8 N Reflex Nikkor disappear from it's leather case in my office where the cableman was working. Although it couldn't be proved he took it, I still got a check from the insurance company to cover the loss.

I had a package (photo equipment too...) that disappeared somewhere between getting on the UPS truck for delivery and getting to my door. In that case UPS was able to verify it as a lost package. But the claim had to be filed by the *shipper*, and UPS would reimburse the shipper who would then reimburse me. It took *six months*, but it eventually was cleared up.

So you might check with Adorama to see how they handle it.

Of course, in your case the package did get delivered (albeit empty), so UPS may handle it differently, as they can point fingers elsewhere...

j

That's a bummer. It has happened to me before. You will be reimbursed only if the sender had insured the package (for the full value). If so, paperwork will have to filled out and an investigation done. In that case you will eventually get another identical lens (or the cash value) from Adorama, but it may take some time. In my case, it was on the order of several months. Good luck.

I recently had some smoked salmon go missing from Fed Ex and since this could also happen to any Leica product delivered by Fed Ex, I propose we try to resolve here how I should handle the missing smoked salmon. My guess is that it is the lunch room of the local Fed Ex hub.

Well, I had an order from BHPHOTO, one item was missing from the box. BHPHOTO refused to accept my claim, stating the box's weight was matching all the items, that the staff remembered putting all the items in the box! It was only a $40 piece, and I have been doing business with them for 8 years spending many thousands of dollars over that period without never a problem. I can't help thinking what if it had been my latest leica 50mm 1.4 Asph? Unfortunately I paid this particular order with Paypal, and not my credit card, so not much I can do. Of course, I will never shop with BHPHOTO ever and cancel my account with them!

Ben: Re:Fed Ex, there are two groups of deliverors: the usual bunch on the trucks you see, and a separate group which delivers "ground shipments". I learned the hard way that it is the second bunch that causes most FedEx problems. They are contract workers. Ask any regular FedEx person.

This is a reasonable topic for any photography forum. Much of the equipment in use today has been obtained through internet order or similar and shipped via international/national carrier or the mail.

It behooves all of us to follow the tips presented above on all such orders or transactions that involve shipping expensive items. Theft of these items is a big industry today and protecting oneself from unnecessary total loss goes without saying.

Paying with credit card...Purchasing the item only if it can be insured during shipping....Purchase tracking ability if not standard....Track the object every day until it reaches the destination are guidelines I follow everytime a carrier is involved in an item I am purchasing or having service done on.

I was able to recover fairly quickly the costs spent on an expensive guitar when it went "off screen" after it reached the first stop, the Fed Ex regional warehouse.

The dozen or more times I have sent cameras or lenses for repair I've called the carrier if undo time took place. I'll ship UPS 2nd day air when possible....not a big increase in cost but it offers one more control over seeing where the package is at any one time..."they" have to "touch" it and record progress rather frequently....which is key to successfully getting your item to or from a vendor.