Hmmm...Scott maybe you are onto something with the comment about pros running W2K.

Microsoft has always been about 5 years behind with their GUI code anyway. But seriously,

when you walk into a Starbucks and see those glowing apples, deep down you know those

are the cool people, right? I mean really, pulling out the "server farm" comment. That's

easy. Apple XServers don't need support. They just work! Trust me, you sounded like an

IT geek.- That was for the "its no compliment" remark. Do we really need to insult people

who are just asking for advice?

Alright, seriously I apologize Scott. It's late. As for expensive, maybe so, but I figure I'll

save the difference in IT support phone calls and time wasted fixing things. Again, my

opinion is based on 20 years of working with both platfroms and how they have performed

for me. It comes down to what Nate

wants to do with it. For graphics, that is what image editing of digital photos is right, I

think Macs are far easier to use, more stable and since there aren't 10,000 different

companies assembling the cheapest components they can piece together to build a box,

inherently more standardized across the line. Windows has the lead in a lot of areas, but

not graphics.

Pete

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking as a person who used to build IBM PCs and was a fan of Windows in the old days,

I can testify to the fact that switching to Mac is perhaps the smartest thing I've ever done.

I've persuaded many friends and family to do so, and all of them have been exceedingly

happy with their switch. Macs have the higher entry price. Of course they also have

higher quality components across the board, but in terms of total cost of ownership Macs

provide better value. My dad just junked his P4 Dell from 2002 and replaced it with a

processor upgraded PowerMac G4 that I bought in 1999 and runs better than the 2002 P4

Dell. He was sick of malware, security updates, and the experience of using a piece of

junk every day. Within a year Apple will swich to Intel chips, but if you need a computer

now, get a Mac. I just bought a G5 iMac two weeks ago and aside from being a work of

art, it's a dream to use. It will do anything a PC can do but in a refined and elegant way.

Compare this to driving a BMW versus a Ford Fiesta. They'll both take you from point A to

B but there is something more to the experience. Yeah, it's that nice on a Mac. By far the

most compelling reason to switch is the Mac OS. Solid, elegant, dependable, and easy. In

other words everything that a Windows machine is not. One has to own a Mac for a few

months to understand this... Good luck, you won't regret the switch! But wait until the

Paris Macworld Expo in late September. We expect there to be speed-bumped and

otherwise cheaper or improved versions of the Powerbook released at that show. Hope

that helps.

OS X has a full Unix under the hood, get it and you won't want to reach for Linux anymore. (I still run Linux on my home server, but hope to switch that to OS X once it either runs os x86 or I retire my Mac Mini for an upgrade)

Even though Windows never gave me too much trouble, I "switched" a couple of months ago and can thoroughly recomend it; Mac OS is just very nice. And "it just works" isn't just a marketing slogan.

I love my T41 IBM Thinkpad - it's build quality is the best I've seen for a (recent) laptop (Apple included), the keyboard is the best I've ever used (including any desktop keyboards) and the LCD screen is second only to Sony Onyx and Apple's LCDs.

Having said all that, if you want a laptop for photo editing and you can afford a Mac, then get one. OSX has the best Desktop out there at the moment, is far more stable than windows is ever likely to be, and has all the software you could wish for in the imaging field. And don't bother running linux on a Mac - why spend the money for the best desktop available and then use a poor imitation? I dual-boot linux/winXP on my T41 but if i had OSX i'd probably never use either. Linux does run great on powerpc (Mac), but it's like buying a mercedes and then replacing the engine with a home-built one.

As far as the Gimp goes, I like it. But it's not photoshop - it's slower, and has no 16-bit support. I'm a software developer and use the Gimp a lot for web work, as I prefer linux to windows for a work environment. But if i'm editing photos, photoshop wins hands down. I prefer gimp's GUI (just more used to it), I like that it's free, and it does what it does well. But photoshop does it better and faster.

Of course, you may have other considerations which would favour a PC - but from what you've said, I'd go with the Mac every time.

I tend to agree with the general thrust of most of the responses that OSX and a Mac is the

way to go. In my studio we have 4 mac's and one PC. One thing that no one has

addressed so far is the effigacy of a laptop as your primary machine to run Photoshop ....

it does present a memory problem.

One of the biggest advantages of the new Photoshop CS2 is that it breaks through the 2

GB memory barrier. It is capable of addressing as much as 3.5 GB of RAM. Unfortunately,

AFAIK none of the notebooks on the market (neither Mac nor PC) are equipped to handle

more than 2 GB (maye more on some high end 64bit windows machnies). You need a G5

Powermac with at least 5 GB of RAM to take full advantage of the power of Photoshop CS2.

If this is not a concern then go with the Powerbook. BTW, I use a 12" Powerbook all the

time for rough image editing when I am on the road.

In addition to what Kelly said, I'll add that laptop often have slower transfer rates to main memory, since fast communication between chips actually a fairly major power user. For applications like image processing which moves a lot of data around that can be a drag.

Several of the RIP's we run for printing just use NT3.51. Apple never had any support for our RIP. Theses NT boxes have never required any upgrades at all since bought when new. Apple groupies dont want to hear that a PC with NT has gone almost a decade with not popping the hood; with nopgrades; and only requiring reboots when the office was moved. Several other B&W print stations I run just use DOS; the same program since 1992 has been used faster boxes with no updates. In printing there is no need to waste money on a flash box that doesnt work any quicker. What matters is robustness; having multiple computers; having stuff last. Some printers with public storefronts have Mac and PC's for customers; and all the stuff behind the counter is PC based. If you deal with printing CAD files; many require one to fiddle with lineweights; layers; missing proxy objects; missing Xref's; fiddling with colors; model space; paper space; etc. Alot of these engineering programs are not on the Mac; more so if not that common. Some printing customers require one to have a copy of the survey or Cad program; to fiddle with the settings; when they vist; or a rush job looks wrong. If you deal with programs besides photo stuff for printing; see if the/your Mac has a convertor; or the program is Mac supported.

Kelly, most NT boxes never required any work, unless they ran too many or too dodgy applications. It's mostly 2000 and XP that required constant patching - usualy followed by a reboot - though more so in a "daily use generic workstation" situation than what you use your boxes for. I would say that for all it's shortcommings, an NT4 SP4 box is probably one of the most stable operating systems around, given the application behaves.

Don't get me started on 95/98/Me, obviously they deserve everything bad said about their stability and performance.

Macs have service packs and security patches or bugfixes too, but luckily those are just a download, followed by a few seconds to minutes (in the case of service pack) of copying and then a (rarely required) reboot. I a for one am glad I never have to spend another hour or more waiting for Windows to install a service pack and all the updates that followed it. :)

NT (especialy 3.51) is now so old that it is virtualy impossible to install it on newer hardware, so when those boxes die... I hope you have spares that you can get NT working on or an upgrade strategy!

<I>Ellis is wrong - Apple *does not* have a better industry record in terms of repair when

it comes to their portables vs IBM Thinkpads.</I><P>Ellis is right becasue I never made a

claim about "industry records" so yo uare holding my comments to a different standard

than the one Iused in replying to the earlier comment. I cited a single, specific instance of

someone I know who switched from Thinkpads to a G4 Powerbook because of the

problems she was having with the Thinkpads and her subsequent experience with the

Powerbook. She travels frequently and internationally and works her computers as hard or

harder than anyone else I know.<P>Also isn't it the case that IBM recently sold their

computer manufacturing division?

<I>Ellis is wrong - Apple *does not* have a better industry record in terms of repair when

it comes to their portables vs IBM Thinkpads.</I><P>Ellis is right becasue I never made a

claim about "industry records" so yo uare holding my comments to a different standard

than the one Iused in replying to the earlier comment. I cited a single, specific instance of

someone I know who switched from Thinkpads to a G4 Powerbook because of the

problems she was having with the Thinkpads and her subsequent experience with the

Powerbook. She travels frequently and internationally and works her computers as hard or

harder than anyone else I know.<P>Also isn't it the case that IBM recently sold their

computer manufacturing division?

Kelly, you are right, I'm sure that your boxes running DOS do a great job of their single

task and don't need to be updated. So do video games. But I'll bet if you went to those and

tried to install XP, 2 GB RAM, a RAID array, and plug in a Wacom tablet you will need a bit

of updating. I'm sure I could go to my storage unit, pull out my old Mac SE/30 and boot up

system 7 and happily type away on Word or do some CAD work with Canvas or even fire

up SoftPC so I could run those DOS programs of yours.

But all that is comparing oranges to Apples. <insert bad joke groan here> It's not what

Nate is asking about. Nate is asking about photoshop specifically and other common

(email, writing) uses likely. To that end Nate, I say grab the 17" PowerBook, (since it will be

your primary and don't forget the educational discount), get 1GB ram, load up CS2, go to

a large franchise chain coffee joint where you will be looked upon with envy and a certain

sense of awe as you

review pictures from your last shoot and sip your latte, quietly grinning while the guy next

to you is

cursing under his breath because he is trying to remember how to change the SSID on his

Wintel machine. And if

you are feeling especially benevolent, offer to let him search for a tech support phone

number with your Powerbook.

Ciao!

No matter how many opinions show up on in this conversation, they are nothing more than a tiny scrap of the total amount of users of either platform, so no one here is really proving anything. If you claim your os is perfect just look around on the forum to see many people having problems with both os's.

I have used both platforms for over a decade and can say that neither is intuitive to the beginner. I prefer working on the windows platform, don't really know why, maybe it?s because my intelligence is insulted by commercials that try to convince me that I am "smarter" or more "creative" than others because I use an Apple computer. What's even sadder is that some people actually believe that crap.

I just retired a windows pc, had it for 8 years, never had a problem except that I replaced a worn out cd drive (and I know nothing about that stuff, it was really easy) first had win 95 then win98 on it; never had a plug and play problem at all. Never had a virus.

Does this prove anything? Not really, I just use common sense when opening mail and what I do on the internet.

I see all this bragging about no viruses on apple computers but there are several, very few because the hackers aren't interested in the little guys. That has nothing to do with apple's ability to fend them off.

Personally to get back on subject (which I rarely do) I wouldn't get a laptop unless you really need one, desktops are a much better deal, and like others have said much more suited to photoshop type work.

thanks mr. smith for proving so many of my points.

yes, we "windoze" users are so unworthy. I did not say that there was a lack of viruses, I said there are fewer than what is found on windows. to say that the attention factor for hackers to attack windows as opposed to apple isn't the main reason is laughable.

so please mr smith do illuminate those of us who are unworthy, or do you get your information from the same people who always claimed that the ibm mp was so superior to the intel mp?

<I>IBM laptops are built like a tank, you can pound nails with them.</I><P>

It occurred to me the above feature shouldn't be so readily discounted. When your IBM laptop

gets so corrupted with viruses and other detritus, at least you still have a handy tool

that will work in an emergency.

Maybe a serrated knife blade, scissors, pull-out phillips screwdriver, and magnifying glass

could be incorporated as well?

www.citysnaps.net

I believe Ken was referring to the Mac platform not OS X. But if the hackers don't want to

go after my Macs for whatever reason, how is that a bad thing? Either way, security or

market share, the result is the same. Less virus issues. As for "falling" for marketing. I

don't know if I would call honestly looking at an alternative and finding it better for you,

"falling". I guess it is more creative to have to learn networking just to get your home

email. You get to find creative ways to make your systems from 10,000 vendors talk to

each other. I remember hooking up a single printer cord between my SE/30 and my Mac

Plus and clicking on one Appletalk button on each computer and I was file sharing

between the two. That was 1987. You would be hard pressed to get two Wintel boxes to

do that as easily now.

Ken, I find it a bit humorous that the reason you prefer wintel is not because it works

better, but because you took offense to a marketing campaign.

I have used both platforms, still do when I have to, but I prefer my Macs. Like right now.

With one click, I update and sync my address book and calender across a laptop, desktop,

online copy, palm pilot, and my way cool photo iPod.

Am I a hysterical Apple user? I don't think so. There are pros and cons to ANY platform. I

just know what has worked best for me over the years. Sure Nate, if you have the cash get

a laptop and desktop as that is by far the BEST solution, but if you need to make a choice I

think the money spent on a Powerbook will serve you well.

Pete

I believe that software should heavily drive your choice. I used to use macs and still think highly of them. Most of the software that I use, however, is only available in the PC world. My software is what makes me productive, my hardware and OS are just a means to an end!

This is the first question you should ask yourself.

Do you have the IT knowledge necessary to keep a PC secure and free from malware?

Yes? Decide based on other factors.

No? (And it's probably no, or else you would know what you wanted.) Buy a Mac.

Every week I deal with people who bought a PC for all the reasons, some real and some FUD, listed in this thread. And their PC's are useless doorstops thanks to the malware, until they shell out money to me to clean things up, which lasts any where from a couple weeks to almost a year depending on the user and what he/she does on the Internet, and whether he/she takes my advice.

My friends in IT do not have this problem because they know how malware works, what to watch for, and how to remove it. Everyone else just suffers with it.

Security is the #1 thing which separates Mac OS from Windows right now, and I think it's huge for less knowledgable users. If you don't know how to keep a PC secure, buy a Mac. End of conversation.

"I believe Ken was referring to the Mac platform not OS X"

No, that includes os x

"how is that a bad thing?"

didn't say it was a bad thing, just noting the reason why.

"I guess it is more creative to have to learn networking just to get your home email. You get to find creative ways to make your systems from 10,000 vendors talk to each other."

sorry, don't find that to be true in my experience, so no facts here, just your distorted opinion.

That was 1987. You would be hard pressed to get two Wintel boxes to do that as easily now.

can anyone take you seriously when you make statements like this.

"Ken, I find it a bit humorous that the reason you prefer wintel is not because it works better, but because you took offense to a marketing campaign."

why? I never said that one works better than the other. I think that they are pretty much the same,except the pc hardware is much faster, thanks to a free market with competition. (oh, I forgot, competition and choice are bad words to some apple users.) and regardless of what is said it?s also cheaper.

"do you have the IT knowledge necessary to keep a PC secure and free from malware? "

I never found it necessary over the last 8 years...

If my windows machine didn't work, I wouldn't have it, but it does and I am productive with it regardless of what you seem to think you know about my experiences. why does that bother you so much? I don't care if anyone uses an apple computer, but the superior attitude and the b.s. is what I find irritating, especially when misinformation is given to someone who asks for advice.

I don't like the Apple Mouse though....only one button!:)

Macs SHOULD BE BETTER ANYWAY.

Their hardware specifications are much more tightly controlled unlike a PC's.

Windows XP runs om many different systems ranging from Crusoe to Athlon 64's.These all have different architechures.

Seriously you should be looking at your own computing habits.You will soon find out what you would prefer!

<I>According to research from New York-based TrendWatch, 83% of graphic designers,

77% of corporate design departments and 65% of advertising agencies rely on Macintosh

computers. And publishers also continue to depend on Apple's machines.<P>

Kim Vichitrananda, a desktop support engineer for 800 PCs and 250 Macs at The Dallas

Morning News, acknowledges that Windows has comparable applications for the

publishing market. But, she says, "those applications don't run as robustly on Windows.

They're not as fast or as seamless as on the Mac. We could not replace Macs for PCs."<P>

At The Home Depot Inc., senior engineer Bruce Covey evaluated only Mac options when he

upgraded his video production equipment at the company's corporate headquarters in

Atlanta. "We never considered the PC option, because it can't do what the Mac does in

video production," he says.<P>

Home Depot's video group standardized on dual-processor Mac G5 desktop machines

with 2GB of RAM accessing 4TB of storage on Xserve RAID storage. Covey uses Apple's

Final Cut Pro as his editing application.<P>

"The Mac is secure, if not bulletproof," Jeffries says. That's because OS X was developed

after the widespread adoption of the Internet, so Apple "designed it to be secure by

default."

"Windows was designed for features, not security," he adds.<P>

Across San Francisco Bay at CHORI, Hanes concurs. "Macs are safer," he says. "When we

get a virus, it's because someone attached a Windows laptop to the network."

Hanes, who estimates that CHORI's hundreds of machines are evenly split between Macs

and Windows, deploys Macs as his secure front line to the outside world. He has set up

CHORI's mail and Web servers on OS X systems. Any malware, particularly mail-borne

viruses, gets stopped there before reaching the network. "If it's touching the Internet, it's

safer on a Mac," he concludes.</I><P>And no one has ever said Computerworld was pro

Macintosh!