Any of you tried either?, which is optically better. From looking at the specs,

they are both almost identical on paper.. tessar designs, same number of

elements and groupings. However, the nikkor P just a little heavier and can

focus closer, has more blades. Though I'm not so sure if this will mean it has

better bokeh.

Also regarding the hoods, are both available as collapsible rubber hoods to

maintain compactness? I think the contax zeiss 45/2.8 has arubber hood

option.

But above all, which do you consider to be better optically and handling wise.

The Nikkor is newer so may have improved optics?

Any other pancakes I have missed apart from the Pentax pancake. Are there

faster pancake options..

Thanks for your input.

There was a 38mm f/2.8 Pancake lens made for Olympus Pen F/T. Real tiny (14mm thick at infinity!). 5 elements in 5 groups construction. 80cm close focus. 55mm focal length in 35mm terms.

The same Tessar design in a Zeiss Tessar and the Nikkor P does not mena a whole lot. It also depends on the materials used, who manufactured it and the Q.C. practices of the manufacturer. Someone in this forum, mentioned a while ago, that the 45P is made by a contracted firm for Nikon. I doubt there are any comparisons between the Zeiss Tessar and Nikkor 45P exists as they belong to two DIFFERENT systems.

There are probably dozens of similar discussions sprinkled throughout the internet. I know there are at least a few here on photo.net, some fairly recent. These "pancake" lenses are cultish items and popular topics of discussion.

Try also discussion threads about similar lenses from Olympus (Zuiko) and Minolta (very cheap and plasticky but otherwise good optically), and more recent offerings from Cosina/Voigtlander.

Of the bunch, the most recent Nikkor version has the niftiest lens hood.

Actually I have used both the Minolta 45mm f/2 and the Contax (Carl Zeiss) Tessar 45mm f/2.8. Neither were purchased for 'cultish' reasons but for their compactness and light weight and quality.

The Contax 139Q/Tessar 45mm was a very small SLR combination that was a always a favourite of mine.

I have recently bought a Contax 167MT/50mm planar and may buy another Tessar. (They cost little nowadays)

It would make an interesting comparison to get a 45mm Nikon f/2.8 to go on my D70 but the 1.5X digital crop would make it a 67mm and although it would be compatible I do not relish manual focussing with it using a D70 viewfinder in comparison to the viewfinder on my Contax 167MT.

Also, a Nikon 45mm (even used) would cost more.

However, if you are going to use a 45mm on a manual focus Nikon SLR, like the FM2 or FM3, I doubt there would be any appreciable difference between it and the Tessar in your prints/slides.

I have the Nikon 45/2.8P and I've used it a fair amount.

It is EXTREMELY sharp.

You can focus very close - closer than with the 50/1.4 or the 50/1.8, and close enough to do a really nice head-and-shoulders portrait (which, surprisingly, in my experience does not introduce objectionable perspective distortion).

The color rendition is a little warmer than Nikon's average.

Optically, it's just absolutely outstanding.

Ergonomically, it leaves a little to be desired. It's TOO flat. Finding the focus and aperture rings with your fingers - even if you have smallish fingers like I do - is a pain. On the other hand, on an FM2 or FM3a it makes an almost pocketable combination.

It's probably overpriced compared to value, but I prefer it to any of the Nikon 50s or 35s.

Your fastest pancake is going to be a collapsible Summicron from Leica - but you have to remember to "un-pancake" it before shooting.

Another non-Tessar "pancake" is the Konica Hexanon 40/1.8, nominally a bit faster than the Pentax and Minolta offerings. It's said to be very sharp. Details are <a href=http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e40_18.html">here</a>

1) I use a 45GN 2.8 all the time for street photography. Unfortunately, the 45GN was the first near-"normal" lens I owned. I eventually would buy, then sell, a 55MM f/1.2, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/2 because a) they just didn't deliver the sharpness of the 45GN, and b) they were all a lot bulkier. For the record, the second best (IMO) was the f/2. I use the 45GN almost exclusively with B&W now, but color is amazing when using my SB-11 and setting the GN on the lens. You can barely tell it's shot with a flash.

2) I've owned (and wished I kept) a Zeiss Contessa with 45mm f/2.8 Tessar Opton. I go back and look at my early work with this camera and wonder what I was thinking by selling it. It was easy to use and the crispness blew away SLRs I opted for in the 70's. I can't imagine the newer Zeiss pancakes would be any less of a lens.

I've included a few pix of my Nikkor 45GN (it's been AId). The photos are pretty bad, and I almost always use it on my FE or FM because it IS pocketable. The lens hood is very similar to the newest P version, and is better than the rubber hood you speak of. It is an exceptional lens, and is rivalled only by my 24mm f/2 Nikkor.

Axel<div>00CgOJ-24354984.jpg.61136fefd12f6fb152e7af30cbddd3c5.jpg</div>

• 2 years later...

Just want to add to the compilation of pancake lenses.

I have a 40mm/1.8 Konica Hexanon AR which when combined with the Konica TC makes a very compact kit. While it's a tad bit less sharp compared to the Hexanon 50/1.4 or 1.7, it has the signature sharpness of a true Hexanon lenses.

I think of all the pancake lenses talked about so far, this one is also the fastest.