50mm Summilux ASPH

steve_york1

I upgraded my set of Leica lenses this summer to the current models

(only three focal lengths), and I chose the Summilux ASPH for the

50mm lens, which is my main focal length. The one I received from

B&H has this incredibly stiff focusing. Are they all like that?

Although it has loosned up a bit with just a few minutes of testing,

its a far cry from the silky smooth focusing of the prior new and

used Leica I have or had in the past. And it does not seem to be a

uniform stiffness when I rotate the focusing lever -- it stiffens,

and then loosens up a bit. Weird.

Has anyone else experienced something like that? Having not

experienced anything like that in the past, I was just wondering it

that is normal and whether it will loosen up to to that silky smooth

focusing feel which I like.

Mine has loosened up, but it is still fairly stiff. I have heard people complaining of this before.

I wonder if it is done on purpose. If it really bothers you, I am sure you can send it back, or to

someone like DAG who could loosen it up. The best cure, however is to go out and take some

pictures. The performance will make you forget the stiffness.

I had this with a 1985 (4th gen, tabbed) Summicron 50mm. Off camera the focussing ring/tab was smooth as smooth all the way, but mounted on the camera the resistance was progressively tighter and I assumed this was normal for rangefinders because of the cam profile etc. (It was one of the reasons I dropped RF as I prefer focussing to be effortless and smooth and consistent in feel whatever distance one focusses to.

Also the aperture selection felt so loose I had to check everytime I picked the camera up in case it had moved itself to a different aperture. However I assumed all this was just Leica quirkiness because so many people had reported similar here. The lens worked fine though.

However, you are talking about a lens that costs ten times more than my used cron and for that money you should expect perfection.

Mine was a little stiff but not bad at all. I prefer it that way because of the faster focus of the newer lenses compared to the older lenses that had a much longer throw. With the addition of floating elements in the mix, don't expect a light touch to focusing action like a vintage Summicron or Summilux.

Not the same lens but for what it's worth, my new 75mm Summicron's focusing

was fluid and smooth right out of the box; no problemo.

It does not, however, seat properly with the usual vault-like "click" we're all

familar with on other Leica lenses. By that I mean it overrotates by about one

degree and dislays the 28/90 frame in the viewfinder not the appropriate 50/

75 frame. I need to back it off (counterclockwise) until it seats properly. I've

never had this happen with ANY other lens, either Leica or non-Leica, on any

of my Ms. I'm hoping the condition clears up as I continue to break-in the

mount.

Maybe it was a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon when the Solms

machinist milled the mount on this new 75mm lens, eh?

I have not bought a new Leica lens for quite some time (much less anything with the word "aspherical" attached) given how absurdly high prices have become. One of the things I love about a new lens is the feel of the focus ring and a smooth, silky focus travel really adds to the usability and the luxurious feel of a lens, particularly when you are paying so much money. However, it seems to me that the Leica lenses I have owned have all had a different feel when focused.

A recent 90 2.8 had an extremely stiff focus action, almost to the point of having to grab the focus ring with more than just a thumb and index finger. It never really loosened up. The focus ring also had very shallow grooves which did not allow a firm grip. The aperture ring had a rather nebulous, disconnected feel to it, the detents were not really prominent and it was difficult to confidently select an aperture without looking at the lens barrel to confirm the setting.

A 35 Summicron (last version before ASPH) had a rather loose focus feel which sometimes contributed to some back and forth to get the focus right. The aperture ring was somewhat notchy and harsh. A couple of older LTM lenses I had (a 5cm Elmar and 3.5cm Sumaron which I got used) felt quite good when focussing, even after nearly fifty years of use. The only recent Leica lens I ever got that felt totally satisfactory out of the box was a 50 Summicron...that one felt great.

After handling hundreds of Leica lenses over the years It seems that the black ones are less consistent than the silver ones. On the other hand, pretty much every Hasselblad lens I've owned and inspected had a really smooth and consistent feel when focussing. And all the Nikkor Ai/Ais lenses I've owned felt wonderful when new and for many years after. For that kind of money I would really expect it to be absolutely perfect from day one.

Just some personal observations, and I hope this thread does not end up like the one just mentioned by the previous poster.

Steve - call B&H and tell them about your concern. I don't believe it is normal. Ask them to substitute one which has been adjusted to closer tolerances. The only time I had stiffness like you described was on an old collapsible summicron...after I had it CLA'd it worked much easier, so I think it was probably a lube problem. IMHO you shouldn't be experiencing stiffness to the degree you described on a new model.

The first 50 Summilux Asph I received had a tight spot in the focusing in the close

range but only in one direction. I used it for a while and then sent it back. Leica futzed

about for over three months before deciding to replace it. I then had to wait for the

replacement which took another two months or so.

The next lens was much improved though it still had a slight stiffness in the same place

the other one was tight. Fair enough I figured I could live with it. Three weeks later I

dropped my first Leica lens. Yes it was the Summilux Asph and it hit the ceramic floor so

hard it bounced. Now I know what a tight spot really is. Back to Leica under passport.

Thank goodness it was not gray market!

That was back in the beginning of April and there has been no sign of it or a replacment

yet

The Asph lenses have to go back to Solms for anything other than very minor servicing -- ie:

cleaning the front element :-). Most of the time you would be right, it would just take a

simple adjustment.; not with the 50 Summilux Asph though. It has a rear element that

changes position in the close range. This is what they are having so much trouble with. The

only thing I can say for sure is that if anything has to go to Solms, it will be four to six

months minimum.

Life is rough...

Steve,

Stiff? I dunno! All the Aspheric lenses that I borrowed from Leica had focusing as smooth as a greased eel. And the aperture clicks were

very positive. Adjusting the aperture NEVER caused movement of the

focus.

I only wish that I could afford them, but I justify my pre-Asph. lenses by saying that they are much lighter and smaller :-)

Jerry

Because of the floating element especially, this particular lens relies on very tight tolerances. The barrel mechanism requires very precise machining to make it work. Leica did this in order to provide high performance and a floating element close-focus mechanism in a lens that is only a little larger and heavier than its precursor. It would have been easier if they made a larger lens, but they decided not to do this.

The result is if the focusing is too stiff, it's not simply a matter of adding a little lubrication. It's a big deal and the lens has to go back to Germany. That's just the way it is. In addition, not too many of these lenses have been made, so availability is still tight.