5D and encrypted metadata

palfy

Actually, Nikon View is free. Nikon Capture is Nikon's RAW editor, and the cost is less than $100. Still, your point is well taken. There are many new (and potential) D2X customers wondering why they spent $5,000 on a body, only to shell out another $99 for the software to edit their images. The D2X encrypts auto white balance information, so most users have simply adopted workarounds. I don't know of any Canon offerings that include capabilities similar to Nikon Capture(RAW image editing).

I am not aware of any metadata encryption in Canon's DSLR line; hopefully they will continue this trend:)

Jerry S

Jerry Said:

"I don't know of any Canon offerings that include capabilities similar to Nikon Capture(RAW image editing)."

And I for one do not want Canon to offer ANY SOFTWARE. I would prefer they leave such things to others such as Adobe and keep the interfaces to their systems as open as possible with SDKs and APIs being made available for free to developers.

With support from third parties Canon would have the opportunity to completely shut out all other proprietary systems.

• 2 months later...
Dave - Excellent Idea! The Nikon camp has people on both sides of the issue. There are those two use Nikon Capture almost exclusively, and those who wouldn't dream of using it. There are rumblings about Nikon Capture being the *only* software that takes full advantage of the RAW/NEF format. I'm not sure if that is entirely true or not, but I for one would hope that any camera manufacturer would not lock out features just in order to sell another $99.00 software package. Make the data available to developers who wish to incorporate FULL support into their products.