Hands On Review of 5D with Photos

toddklassy

As usual Phil Askey does an excellent job with his preview, about as comprehensive as you can get considering the camera was announced just this week and he probably had the camera for only two days.<p>

<i>"Disclaimer: Note that the images presented here are from a pre-production EOS 5D and hence image quality may vary from the final version of the camera. The EF 24 - 105 mm F4L IS lens used is considered production quality."</i>

On closer inspection I found the pics, like the canon examples, need a USM of ~100,0.7,0 to reach optimum sharpness at 100%. About standard for jpg with low sharpening applied in camera.

The noise is pretty good, at iso 1250 ACR will clear up the majority of the visible noise with the default 'colour noise reduction' setting. The noise in the skies at iso 100 was twice as good as my 10D was and worlds better than the 1Ds. Level of resolving power seems on par with the 1Ds, the 24-105L looks to be pretty damn good including corners.

Phil usually gets the initial review out there quickly--so I assume he just cut and pasted a

few of the grids and didn't do 100% editing.

I'm printing a 3200 ISO picture --- the one of the measurement scale with the angles--on

my Epson 2200 printer now and I'm amazed at the lack of noise at normal print sizes. I

opened the file in photoshop and it seems that Canon does even more with the 5D than

the 20D with noise reduction at the extremes.

I'm very happy right now with my other equipment, but it's a tempting package... Maybe

in a year or two, I can treat myself to one without sleeping on the couch!

Ken

it's not a scientific test with a test model camera, it's not even a production model and the pics are quick 'snapshots' to show what files from this camera look like, they were even shot in auto mode according to the EXIF. So what if there is a bit of dust, would you prefer he manipulated the sample shots to get rid of it?