A&B Diafine

If your like me you can't wait to see how your Black & white images came out on the film!?! I have a quick way for this to be done. There are to chemicals that are out there that make this happen. They are A&B Diafine, they inable you to process a roll of black & white film in the time spand of 16 minuets as to where doing it the other way it takes much more of your time. This is a quick & easy way to a happy photographer. IT'S AS SIMPLE AS:

<p>

3 MINUTES A-DIAFINE

<p>

3 MINUTES B-DIAFINE

<p>

30 SECOND RINCE IN WATER

<p>

5 MINUTES IN FIXER

<p>

WASH IN RUNNING WATER 5 MINUTES

<p>

30 SECONDS IN PHOTOFLO

<p>

THEN HANG TO DRY.

<p>

YOU ARE ALL DONE!!!! NOW WAS THAT EASY OR WHAT?

<p>

I know some photographers know about this process and use it ; However, their are quite a few that don't know. I went to Columbia College, Chicago for a year. In that time I taught my Darkroom Workshop I (black & white) instructor how to process film useing A&B Diafine. THANX 4 YOUR TIME,

<p>

Gabrielle

• 4 months later...
A professional photographer that I work for years ago used diafine. Its great for batch processing when you have different types of B&W films, you can process tri-x with plus-x for example. The times will be the same for any film and any temperture. The only drawbacks is an increase in film speed by about 2x. Tri-x will have to be shot at 800 asa, plus-x at 250. I may be wrong about these figures as its been awhile since I used it, but its close. If you are in a hurry and have a large batch of diffent speed films its great. But....forget the zone system as there is no way to adjust development. You are also pushing the film quite a bit.

• 4 years later...

This is in response to Don's suggestion that "You are also pushing the film quite a bit."

I might be wrong on this, but isn't there a difference between pushing and building up the shadow with a compensating developer such as Diafine. The speed increase is from the developer working to bring up the shadow detail while the highlights are contained. When one pushes film, both the shadow and highlights are "pushed" together.

I recently started using Diafine and also like it for it's ease of use. I'm still not getting the sharpness that I desire. I will definitely keep using use for general use. I might try some of the high-definition developers such as FX-1 to enhance sharpness.

Don;

Temperature has no effect within the range 70 to 85 F. Times are only critical to get to the minimum 3 minute time in the A&B solutions. I haven't seen any problems with sharpness of negatives developed in Diafine. Tech pan can be developed by developing in the B solution for 45 seconds.

The only problem I have with Diafine is it is not very fine grained. Over all an excellent developer.