film solerization (not Sabattier)

I was reading this old book from the seventies about film and it mentioned solarization, and says that true solarization is different form Sabattier effect, which is mistakely called solarization. Anyway, somebody else told me that solarization is extreme under exposure combined with extreme over development, which yields a crazy kind of transperancy. Can anybody explain solarization and give me some exposure and development times that I can use to start experimenting with.

• 3 months later...
True solarisation occurred with older films, where the characteristic curve dropped off after the shoulder. So if part of the subject gave that much exposure, the negative would be lighter (and the print, darker) than you would expect. From the word "solar" = "from the sun". There is an example in Ansel Adams, The Negative.

• 9 years later...
I have used a method of solaraztion that I obtained years ago from the Peterson Photo Magazines that were out then. Basically, this is what I do. Start with a weak paper developer, a very contrasty paper, I used to use Agfa 6, and find a proper exposure for the paper and then expose it about 50% less. Then treat the paper as if you were making a test strip, I remove the neg. and use the white light from the enlarger. Expose the 'print' to the white light for say, 3 second intervals. have a bunch say, 3 to 15 as in test strips. then put the paper in the developer with no agitation and you should see some solaraztion appearing. Keep it in for the whole minute, or 2 depending on wether you are using RC or Fiber paper. Then look at it under a white light. You will find various times of solarization, then choose one you like, i.e. exposed 9 seconds to white light.<div>00PFiF-43070584.jpg.a8f20cacea73f19cf2849c9d2f3c150c.jpg</div>