Developing agfa scala in regular b&w negative film chemicals

Hi Richard, thanks for your responding. I was thinking in terms of a B&W crossed-process; I've had very good results in developing color slides in color negative chemicals (C-41)-which is a fairly common practice-, so I was wondering if anybody had experimented with crossed-process techniques with B&W films.

The funky effects that come from processing colour slide film in C-41 chemistry are due to strange dye reactions and cross-overs. But Scala is just a regular B&W film that has been optimized to give good results in B&W reversal processing. My guess is that souping Scala in a regular B&W negative process would give you fairly normal-looking negatives on a clear film base. Nothing too exciting, unfortunately.

Agfa Scala is nothing others than a BW Film with a transparent base and you can develop it in every normal BW developer. I have test it in D-76 but can not remember the process time. The result was thin negatives with much contrast. I think the Scala is too expensive for the results you will get when processed as BW Film.

Jeffrey probably means DR5, not D-45. DR5 is a lab (now in Colorado) with a proprietary reversal process, and he can reversal-process Scala with his own technique.

Stefan's observations are interesting. Thin, contrasty negatives. Sounds like a film optimized for reversal processing (which it is) for projection. Nothing you couldn't do with any other (less expensive) B&W film.